[SOLVED] ReactOS-0.4.10 refusing to accept Host+Del insert from VBox

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

msulli1355

[SOLVED] ReactOS-0.4.10 refusing to accept Host+Del insert from VBox

Post by msulli1355 »

I saw a YouTube video about ReactOS and I wanted to try it, so I booted up my PC, and logged into my Slackware 14.2(64) OS. Once there, I went to your site, downloaded a boot image (boot, not LiveCD) and loaded Virtualbox-5.0.4-r115130, created a new virtual machine, just like the guy in the video did, and away I went with the install. It worked well until it got to a point saying that it wanted to install drivers. My mouse pointer suddenly went dead within the vbox. Outside the vbox, it still moved normally. I powered down the VM and not wanting to go through the install process again (did I mention that I am extremely lazy?) I booted up the VM again. It got to a screen saying that I needed to hit Control+Alt+Del to log in. I went to my input menu and selected to insert Control+Alt+Delete. And...nothing. It would not accept my input. Any advice for me?
binarymaster

Re: ReactOS-0.4.10 refusing to accept Host+Del insert from VBox

Post by binarymaster »

msulli1355 wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:33 am It worked well until it got to a point saying that it wanted to install drivers. My mouse pointer suddenly went dead within the vbox. Outside the vbox, it still moved normally.
VirtualBox can emulate different type of mouse, don't use "USB Tablet" mouse for now, use PS/2 instead.

But if you want to stay with first one, sometimes it helps to fully shutdown the VM, and cold boot it again.
msulli1355 wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:33 am I powered down the VM and not wanting to go through the install process again (did I mention that I am extremely lazy?) I booted up the VM again. It got to a screen saying that I needed to hit Control+Alt+Del to log in.
It looks like you powered it down forcefully, so the VM hard disk drive got corrupted. You should use system shutdown function via Start menu when possible.
mrmajik45

Post by mrmajik45 »

(Btrfs can help with not corrupting your drive.)
ReactOS Donator ~ $5.00 | Linux Mint Donator ~ $1.00 in BTC
msulli1355

Post by msulli1355 »

Sorry, the problem is fixed. I reinstalled ReactOS and the problem didn't come back. Now how do I mark this thread as [SOLVED]?
EmuandCo
Developer

Re: [SOLVED] ReactOS-0.4.10 refusing to accept Host+Del insert from VBox

Post by EmuandCo »

By asking me until you have a specific amount of posts ^^ Done
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
msulli1355

Post by msulli1355 »

That solution seems very inefficient to me. Shouldn't the responsibility of marking threads [SOLVED] be on the end user? I am a Linux user. Twenty years ago when I was a programming student at college I was a Windows user. Linux forums are all I've ever known. Granted, I'm happy that I don't have to learn anything new, but that's kinda how I ended up in this position. It's a dangerous precedent.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Believe me that we made these approval rules with a reason. Spambots are strong these days.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
msulli1355

Post by msulli1355 »

Well, at least you told me why it is this way. Spambots marking threads solved that aren't actually solved. Am I in the ballpark at least?
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Naaah, they tend to post neutral stuff and edit these posts after a while to SPAM, that's why editing is moderated.

msulli1355

Post by msulli1355 »

I just assumed that I was being moderated because I was new here.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

You are, as all spambots you are new here and that's the only criteria we have at the beginning to select and separate. But soon you are off the limit of approved posts and all will be fine. Post editing will be available by then too.

msulli1355

Post by msulli1355 »

I'm only beginning to learn to program. I said earlier that 20 years ago, I was a programming student. i got my Associates degree, and then began the Bachelor's program. It didn't take me long to get burnt out. So I sat on my butt in front of the TV for fifteen years. I lost most of my lessons, as well as what little patience I had back then. About five years ago I began meditating on a path back to who I was going to be before I got burnt out. Based on what you've told me, it would be pointless to ask you "how do I prove that I'm real and not a spambot?", so I'll not do it.
karlexceed

Post by karlexceed »

msulli1355 wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:33 pm how do I prove that I'm real and not a spambot?
Hey man, you're doing that already. Any new account gets restricted/moderated until a certain # of posts. After that, you get granted full user rights. Just hang around, be patient, and keep participating.
msulli1355

Post by msulli1355 »

OK. I'll start contributing o the project as soon as I get my skills to a level where I can actually do something beyond "Hello World". I bought Stroustrup's PPP book for C++. I'm only on Chapter 2. I'm building up my attention stamina. I've been using the Net today looking up how to use C++ to access MIDI. I haven't gotten it to work AT ALL yet, but I'm not ready to give up yet. I want a program that will play a musical scale, and then randomly select a note to be left out. I'm using RtMidi on Linux, and I'm having a bit of trouble with an undefined reference error. The PPP book says that errors will be discussed in detail in Chapter 5. I suspect that this is more a sign of my CLI experience deficiency than a legitimate issue though...