In the event a trade regulator takes Windows away from Microsoft

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

erkinalp
Posts: 834
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:55 pm

In the event a trade regulator takes Windows away from Microsoft

Post by erkinalp » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:28 am

What do you think will happen in case a trade regulator takes Windows away from Microsoft due to Microsoft being a monopolistic position in system software industry? Do we have any plans for;
a) an anti-competition ruling against Microsoft leading to split of Windows away from Microsoft by means a company split
b) an anti-competition ruling against Microsoft leading to forced open-sourcing of Windows as a public domain and MS losing all exclusive rights to it
?
A variation of latter is already being discussed on a separate topic, such that what will happen if or whether MS voluntarily open-sources Windows.
-uses Ubuntu+GNOME 3 GNU/Linux
-likes Free (as in freedom) and Open Source Detergents
-favors open source of Windows 10 under GPL2

learn_more
Developer
Posts: 143
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:00 pm

Re: In the event a trade regulator takes Windows away from Microsoft

Post by learn_more » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:03 pm

What about the event that there is a massive flooding around the globe and everyone loses their code?

Do we have any plans for a backup?

erkinalp
Posts: 834
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:55 pm

Re: In the event a trade regulator takes Windows away from Microsoft

Post by erkinalp » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:09 pm

response to a) Mandatory updates on Windows 10, and Windows taken away from Microsoft without notice, implies Windows will fail contacting its update server and deactivate. A rapid takeover is therefore necessary.
This can be likened to a city gets nuked and only a handful of people manage to survive in a bunker, then trying to restore city life.
-uses Ubuntu+GNOME 3 GNU/Linux
-likes Free (as in freedom) and Open Source Detergents
-favors open source of Windows 10 under GPL2

mrmajik45
Posts: 335
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:21 am
Location: USA, Indiana
Contact:

Re: In the event a trade regulator takes Windows away from Microsoft

Post by mrmajik45 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:16 pm

learn_more wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:03 pm
Do we have any plans for a backup?
People who keep their ReactOS isos. (Me)
ReactOS Donator ~ $5.00 | Linux Mint Donator ~ $1.00 in BTC

Ancient
Posts: 81
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:32 pm

Re: In the event a trade regulator takes Windows away from Microsoft

Post by Ancient » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:12 pm

erkinalp wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:28 am
What do you think will happen in case a trade regulator takes Windows away from Microsoft due to Microsoft being a monopolistic position in system software industry? Do we have any plans for;
Won't happen. POSIX systems compete well with Windows. Microsoft does not have an OS monopoly. Linux, Android, MacOS all compete quite well against Windows, as do other POSIX systems more removed from the desktop.
Last edited by Ancient on Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

erkinalp
Posts: 834
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:55 pm

Re: In the event a trade regulator takes Windows away from Microsoft

Post by erkinalp » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:53 pm

No. Two POSIX OSs occupy top three. MacOS is #2 and Ubuntu is #3 in desktop and desktop/server mixed OS use stats.
-uses Ubuntu+GNOME 3 GNU/Linux
-likes Free (as in freedom) and Open Source Detergents
-favors open source of Windows 10 under GPL2

wdstudios
Posts: 35
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:53 pm

Re: In the event a trade regulator takes Windows away from Microsoft

Post by wdstudios » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:11 pm

erkinalp wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:09 pm
response to a) Mandatory updates on Windows 10, and Windows taken away from Microsoft without notice, implies Windows will fail contacting its update server and deactivate. A rapid takeover is therefore necessary.
Ummm what?

Win10 will commit sudoku if it doesn't have internet access?

hbelusca
Developer
Posts: 1128
Joined: Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:36 pm
Location: Zagreb, Croatia

Re: In the event a trade regulator takes Windows away from Microsoft

Post by hbelusca » Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:05 pm

If windows goes away, it's all the *nixes / POSIX that's now in monopolistic position, so they must also go away.

wdstudios
Posts: 35
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:53 pm

Re: In the event a trade regulator takes Windows away from Microsoft

Post by wdstudios » Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:36 am

hbelusca wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:05 pm
If windows goes away, it's all the *nixes / POSIX that's now in monopolistic position, so they must also go away.
Except that no one company owns the rights to all of that.

hbelusca
Developer
Posts: 1128
Joined: Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:36 pm
Location: Zagreb, Croatia

Re: In the event a trade regulator takes Windows away from Microsoft

Post by hbelusca » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:08 pm

wdstudios wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:36 am
hbelusca wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:05 pm
If windows goes away, it's all the *nixes / POSIX that's now in monopolistic position, so they must also go away.
Except that no one company owns the rights to all of that.
Which means the situation would be much worse.

wdstudios
Posts: 35
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:53 pm

Re: In the event a trade regulator takes Windows away from Microsoft

Post by wdstudios » Tue May 21, 2019 9:16 am

hbelusca wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:08 pm
Which means the situation would be much worse.
HOW? A monopoly is when one COMPANY controls a market. It's NOT the dominance of a particular platform or set of standards.

erkinalp
Posts: 834
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:55 pm

Re: In the event a trade regulator takes Windows away from Microsoft

Post by erkinalp » Wed May 22, 2019 8:09 am

Competition enforcement treats monopolies, trusts and cartels similarly. Either a split or a teardown.
-uses Ubuntu+GNOME 3 GNU/Linux
-likes Free (as in freedom) and Open Source Detergents
-favors open source of Windows 10 under GPL2

shunesburg
Posts: 151
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:46 pm
Location: Somewhere in France

Re: In the event a trade regulator takes Windows away from Microsoft

Post by shunesburg » Wed May 22, 2019 2:09 pm

wdstudios wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 9:16 am
hbelusca wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:08 pm
Which means the situation would be much worse.
HOW? A monopoly is when one COMPANY controls a market. It's NOT the dominance of a particular platform or set of standards.
By definition, monopoly is not only for company, monopoly mean : "The domination state on a market or a the whole control on everything in a domain."

Yes I know I used a pleonasm (for "whole" and "everything").

wdstudios
Posts: 35
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:53 pm

Re: In the event a trade regulator takes Windows away from Microsoft

Post by wdstudios » Tue May 28, 2019 8:35 pm

shunesburg wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 2:09 pm
By definition, monopoly is not only for company, monopoly mean : "The domination state on a market or a the whole control on everything in a domain."

Yes I know I used a pleonasm (for "whole" and "everything").
Wrong. A monopoly is when there is only one seller/vendor in a market. A monopsony is when there is only one buyer, client, or user.

shunesburg
Posts: 151
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:46 pm
Location: Somewhere in France

Re: In the event a trade regulator takes Windows away from Microsoft

Post by shunesburg » Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:58 pm

wdstudios wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 8:35 pm
shunesburg wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 2:09 pm
By definition, monopoly is not only for company, monopoly mean : "The domination state on a market or a the whole control on everything in a domain."

Yes I know I used a pleonasm (for "whole" and "everything").
Wrong. A monopoly is when there is only one seller/vendor in a market. A monopsony is when there is only one buyer, client, or user.
Yes but I didn't say the opposite. I just said it's not only for market/company, but also for type of things or for a domain.

Example: The LCD screen have the monopoly of the TV screen. (LCD is not a company or brand or market)

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest