WPF, WinForms and WinUI now OpenSource

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

theuserbl

WPF, WinForms and WinUI now OpenSource

Post by theuserbl »

Microsoft announced, that WPF, WinForms and WinUI are now OpenSource

https://blogs.windows.com/buildingapps/ ... EqvLVAU.97

https://github.com/dotnet/winforms
https://github.com/dotnet/wpf
https://github.com/Microsoft/microsoft-ui-xaml

Ok, it is written in C# for the .NET Core platform. But .NET Core will be replacing the .NET Framework in the future.

Oh, and Microsoft wants to replace its Engine for the Edge-browser with the Chromium Engine
https://www.windowscentral.com/microsof ... windows-10

Possible its the reason, why Microsoft works to port Chromium to Windows 10 for ARM
https://9to5google.com/2018/11/19/micro ... ws-10-arm/
Because the Chroumium-Engine will be part of Windows 10 in the future.

Hint: Using the Chromium-Engine for your ReactOS-Browser... :)

Greetings
theuserbl
erkinalp

Re: WPF, WinForms and WinUI now OpenSource

Post by erkinalp »

Next step would have been open-sourcing cmd.exe, Windows Explorer and shell libraries.
-uses Ubuntu+GNOME 3 GNU/Linux
-likes Free (as in freedom) and Open Source Detergents
-favors open source of Windows 10 under GPL2
hbelusca
Developer

Post by hbelusca »

erkinalp wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:10 pm Next step would have been open-sourcing cmd.exe, Windows Explorer and shell libraries.
And ?? We have already these in ReactOS.
erkinalp

Post by erkinalp »

They are gradually open sourcing parts of Windows. One day, all of them will be open source.
cernodile

Post by cernodile »

erkinalp wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:18 am They are gradually open sourcing parts of Windows. One day, all of them will be open source.
Doubt. They will only open source the parts they know they have no trade secrets in or any easily targetable vulnerabilities. They most likely do not have permission to release parts of code due to NDAs and whatnot because of different agreements.

Though the WPF, WinForms and WinUI open source is remarkable.
My working rigs:
Dell Latitude E5430 on 0.4.9-vgal - i5-3340M, USB boot.
Partially working rigs:
Ryzen 7 3700X on B450 board - 0.4.14 boot via preinstall. USB broken.
[ external image ]
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

I am not trying to hijack in saying this reminds me of the situation with Doom 3. They accidentally, by independent invention, copied some of Creative Lab's patented rendering code. So ID software paid them a license fee or whatever, as that was cheaper than going to court. But then they finally decided to release Doom 3 source as open source. However, they rewrote the disputed section before release to remove the patented code. It probably doesn't work as fast, but it is legal.

On the Chromium thing, it was funny that in one of the discussion sections, someone asked if Microsoft would release Edge as open source.
njlyf2011

Post by njlyf2011 »

Will the code opened by Microsoft be used in ReactOS in the future?
hbelusca
Developer

Post by hbelusca »

The aim of ReactOS is to provide the bare OS, compilable with both MSVC and GCC (and later, Clang).
Do you think you need WPF/WinForms/WinUI in such a bare OS? Do you think these will also compile with GCC?
erkinalp

Post by erkinalp »

I preserve my previous thought on this. Until they open source all the Windows, no open-sourced Windows component code should be accepted into ReactOS codebase.
hbelusca
Developer

Post by hbelusca »

erkinalp wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:06 pm
I preserve my previous thought on this. Until they open source all the Windows, no open-sourced Windows component code should be accepted into ReactOS codebase.
Too late, we already use the open-sourced BUT CORE COMPONENTS!! fastfat, disk(_new) and cdfs :lol: :lol: :P :P
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Risking another flamewar here, but... why should we NOT accept everything they throw at us? We want to be Windows compatible, so if it's useful, like fastfat, disk, cdfs and whatever else... GO ON FOR IT. If you wanna say us something like: FOSS >>>>>>>>> commercial or something similar, I kindly ask you NOT to tell it then!
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
erkinalp

Post by erkinalp »

Too late, we already use the open-sourced BUT CORE COMPONENTS!!
Then, no new code from open-sourced Windows components until MS open sources all the Windows.
why should we NOT accept everything they throw at us?
To avoid defamatory saying "ReactOS is Windows clone". Otherwise, at the time they open source Windows, we will wordly become Windows clone and be useless. ReactOS is not Windows, it just happens to implement the Windows 5 API and ABI.
I also mentioned that in the discussion about "am I ReactOS?" API query.
karlexceed

Post by karlexceed »

erkinalp wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:50 pm no new code from open-sourced Windows components until MS open sources all the Windows
This seems unnecessarily restrictive. Why force the devs to re-create things if they're available to use? This will only delay ROS. What would there be to gain from such a stance? Nothing, IMO.
erkinalp wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:50 pm To avoid defamatory saying "ReactOS is Windows clone". ReactOS is not Windows, it just implements the Windows 5 API and ABI.
I mean... It's a bit of a semantic argument to those who aren't technical (and I know this forum has seen a similar discussion recently). It's not a carbon copy, but you could argue that ROS is a Windows clone to some degree. In my mind, if the goal is to be as compatible as possible with Windows, what better proof is there than, "This driver is Microsoft's open source code. No changes were made and it runs perfectly in ROS." ?
hbelusca
Developer

Post by hbelusca »

Related question: What is FreeDOS? A (MS-)DOS clone? Or something that just happens to implement DOS API?
erkinalp

Post by erkinalp »

FreeDOS just happens to implement 86-DOS API with extensions (MS-DOS also implements that; there is no one DOS). They also have a looser compatibility target, for example, do not look for matching application filenames as long as applications, drivers and TSRs run correctly.