Will ReactOS eventually support 16-bit Windows apps?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

MugenFighter

Will ReactOS eventually support 16-bit Windows apps?

Post by MugenFighter »

Basically, I have found some old freeware and shareware for Windows 3.1, Windows 95, Windows 98, and Windows 98SE that Windows 10 no longer supports. So, I wanted a legal way to use these, but Microsoft doesn't offer one. I could use my old Windows 98SE computer, but transferring files to and from it is a nightmare (also I no longer have the installation CD for it, so I can't rip that [it has a CD drive, but I don't think the CD drive supports writing discs {also it can't boot from the CD}]). So, my last hope seems to be patient and wait for ReactOS to support this. So, is this something that the developers of ReactOS are going to add before version 1.0.0?

Note: I'm not asking when this will be added, but if it is planned before version 1.0.0. I like doing things the legal way, out of respect for the developers and IP owners (even if it doesn't make sense to other people).
I'm a MugenFighter, but not the one you are thinking about. I'm actually MugenFighterTube. Now don't ask about MugenFighter's characters.
ROCKNROLLKID

Re: Will ReactOS eventually support 16-bit Windows apps?

Post by ROCKNROLLKID »

ReactOS has a process called NTVDM, which allows ReactOS to run 16-bit apps and games. I don't know how completed it is, but I know quite of bit of 16-bit games were running with it. No one is really focused on it right now, as everyone seems to be more focused on fixing MM/CC, 64-bit support, USB/PnP support, etc right now.

A better solution might be to run it under dosbox or some similar program. This way you can run the dos programs, as well as having other features such as forcing resolutions and upscaled texture formats, forcing AA and anisotropic, etc.
MugenFighter

Post by MugenFighter »

ROCKNROLLKID wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:41 am ReactOS has a process called NTVDM, which allows ReactOS to run 16-bit apps and games. I don't know how completed it is, but I know quite of bit of 16-bit games were running with it. No one is really focused on it right now, as everyone seems to be more focused on fixing MM/CC, 64-bit support, USB/PnP support, etc right now.

A better solution might be to run it under dosbox or some similar program. This way you can run the dos programs, as well as having other features such as forcing resolutions and upscaled texture formats, forcing AA and anisotropic, etc.
That is for DOS apps, I'm talking about 16-bit Windows apps (mainly used in pre-Windows 3.1 apps and installers for 32-bit Windows).
I'm a MugenFighter, but not the one you are thinking about. I'm actually MugenFighterTube. Now don't ask about MugenFighter's characters.
hbelusca
Developer

Post by hbelusca »

MugenFighter wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:16 am That is for DOS apps, I'm talking about 16-bit Windows apps (mainly used in pre-Windows 3.1 apps and installers for 32-bit Windows).
@MugenFighter, look at these online slides: https://slideplayer.com/slide/4593594/
I cannot find at the moment the MSDN/Technet articles where they explain NTVDM and 16-bit Windows apps and have a drawing explaining how everything is interfaced. The slides from above are however accurate enough.

See also https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/oldnew ... 0/?p=44703 concerning these specific 16-bit installers from InstallShield.
MugenFighter

Post by MugenFighter »

hbelusca wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:00 pm
MugenFighter wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:16 am That is for DOS apps, I'm talking about 16-bit Windows apps (mainly used in pre-Windows 3.1 apps and installers for 32-bit Windows).
@MugenFighter, look at these online slides: https://slideplayer.com/slide/4593594/
I cannot find at the moment the MSDN/Technet articles where they explain NTVDM and 16-bit Windows apps and have a drawing explaining how everything is interfaced. The slides from above are however accurate enough.

See also https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/oldnew ... 0/?p=44703 concerning these specific 16-bit installers from InstallShield.
Thanks.
MugenFighter

Post by MugenFighter »

Wow, one of those is an old post by me (that I totally forgot about). Thanks.
justincase

Post by justincase »

One more reason to search before you post.
I reserve the right to ignore any portion of any post if I deem it not constructive or likely to cause the discussion to degenerate.
cb88

Post by cb88 »

I don't think winevdm actually requires 64bit windows... its just that 64bit windows is the first to drop 16bit support.

Note that it's linked against the 32bit runtime.
NodeFiendSean

Post by NodeFiendSean »

I thought the support for 16-bit apps was added to the NTVDM a while back?
Last edited by NodeFiendSean on Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

NodeFiendSean wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:36 pm I thought the support for 16-bit apps was added to the NTVDM a while back?
Win16 is a difference to DOS applications. DOS works already, Win16 not.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...