I need dwmapi.dll

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

KenJackson

I need dwmapi.dll

Post by KenJackson »

When I try to run one of my executables, it pops up a box saying I need dwmapi.dll. Is there any suggestion on where I can find a version of this file that would work?
ThFabba
Developer

Re: I need dwmapi.dll

Post by ThFabba »

Assuming you don't want Microsoft's version (which you could probably get through a Vista or Win7 service pack download), Wine seems to have an implementation of it -- so you could look for a Windows-targeted Wine build.
That said, if your goal is to use it on ROS... it may or may not work. It's a Vista+ dll after all, and ROS targets 2003.
KenJackson

Post by KenJackson »

I'll be fine with any version that works. Is it safe to install Microsoft service packs? Don't they willy-nilly replace lots of stuff? Which OS should we say we are, 32bit Vista or 32bit Win7? Are you sure a service pack would include dwmapi.dll?

Actually, you reminded me. I have an old 386 PC with Win7 installed. I copied its old (not recently updated) wmapi.dll file and it worked.

Now the popup error says "The procedure entry point _except_handler4_common could not be located in the dynamic link library msvcrt.dll". (My msvcrt.dll probably came from the Microsoft redistributables I installed via the ReactOS Application Manager.)
ThFabba
Developer

Post by ThFabba »

I'm not saying to install the service pack -- but you can extract dwmapi.dll from it. I don't know if the Vista+ version of this dll will work in ROS, I'm guessing it might expect DWM... so Wine's might be safer.
_except_handler4_common is a Vista+ export, so yes, ReactOS doesn't have it. msvcrt.dll is a system file, VC++ redistributables don't replace it. You could try using MS's version. Or Wine's.