USB

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

Plug Nickel

USB

Post by Plug Nickel »

Hello,
Just discovered ReactOS beta version and my curiosity was peaked because XP is slow on the PC and due to custom hardware / drivers, Linux won't load. I understand that it is in beta development but the thought of a Windows compatible open source OS is hard not to try.

I downloaded the latest build to try to load on a old OQO 2 UMPC that came with windows XP to see if I could load the OQO drivers but after loading a few drivers when I ran the install CD, it hung on a black screen.

I believe this is caused by buggy USB drivers?

If so, is this currently being addressed? USB is the only method available to load software on this machine.

Also, is there anyway to create a live disk to try future versions (yes, I know it will be slow) without actually loading it onto the machine?

Thank you,
Mark
dizt3mp3r

Re: USB

Post by dizt3mp3r »

If you found the beta version, you searched harder than me. ReactOS is in ALPHA. Read the installation instructions link in my signature below.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
oldman

Post by oldman »

Plug Nickel wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:20 am I downloaded the latest build
What do you mean by "latest build"? The 0.4.11 release from Sourceforge or one of the regular source tree builds from https://www.reactos.org/getbuilds/?

I suggest that you get the very latest ISO image from https://www.reactos.org/getbuilds/, because there has been a commit to the source tree, just 11 hours ago, which may help you get further. See the text here
Please keep the Windows classic 9x/2000 look and feel.
The layman's guides - debugging - bug reporting - compiling - ISO remaster.
They may help you with a problem, so do have a look at them.
Plug Nickel

Post by Plug Nickel »

Sorry, I meant Alpha but my fingers have a mind of their own sometimes.
Thanks for pointing me to the links and I'll download it this time from here and not Source Forge and try it again.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Just be aware of ReactOS limitations being in Alpha and lower your expectations of replacing Windows now. Do it for fun, for testing on a VM or on test hardware, enjoy the slog, see what ReactOS will do with a particular piece of software that you aspire to run, get an idea of how ReactOS WILL operate in the future in a few years time. Join the community.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
Plug Nickel

Post by Plug Nickel »

Tried both the reactos-livecd-0.4.12-dev-863-g77e0409-x86-gcc-lin-dbg.iso as well as the liveusb-ReactOS-0.4.10-vgal.iso and ran into the dreaded swenum.sys hang.

Since I can only run or load via a USB drive, it looks like I'm gonna have to wait for the USB fix.

Thanks for your help