Spoofing Windows version

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

vinceh121

Spoofing Windows version

Post by vinceh121 »

Hey ReactOS forum,
I've recently installed ReactOS using VirtualBox on my Linux computer because I need to use some Windows programs for school.
The problem is, the installer of one of those programs allows only installation on a Windows 7 machine. So my first question is, would that program be able to run on ReactOS? And if so, how can I make the installer believe that my VM uses Windows 7?

Thank you,
-Vincent
Reactions

Re: Spoofing Windows version

Post by Reactions »

vinceh121 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:20 pm Hey ReactOS forum,
I've recently installed ReactOS using VirtualBox on my Linux computer because I need to use some Windows programs for school.
The problem is, the installer of one of those programs allows only installation on a Windows 7 machine. So my first question is, would that program be able to run on ReactOS? And if so, how can I make the installer believe that my VM uses Windows 7?

Thank you,
-Vincent
You would need to change the source code and compile ot to make it run. As a temporary solution, I would use the wine compatibility layer to run windows programs on Linux.
Please support/share my Patreon! Helps so much! https://www.patreon.com/reactions
karlexceed

Re: Spoofing Windows version

Post by karlexceed »

You can try using the compatibility options in ROS, but they may or may not work for you:
[ external image ]