Lets' package up RAPPS and offer it as a download

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

dizt3mp3r

Lets' package up RAPPS and offer it as a download

Post by dizt3mp3r »

This has been said before I know but I think it makes more sense now that some bits of ReactOS work.

I know it is an overhead but I think we should start to package up RAPPS and other discrete components from ReactOS and offer them in usable form as a download by themselves. With a prominent ReactOS logo these components could serve to publicise ReactOS, show the stability of its components and aid testing. Any bugs on the components could be handled in the usual way through JIRA and the only support offered would be in the usual manner, ie. the component is in Alpha, use at your own risk.

I would use RAPPS on my XP box that I am setting up as a potential ReactOS and Linux test bed. I am about to install Npackd.

Furthermore, other similar discrete components could be offered for testing such as the task manager / perfmon or similar. I think I understand the risks but I think the publicity of having a working ReactOS task manager on NT6 systems (if possible) might be good kudos for ReactOS and the positive side of this outweighs the negatives.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
karlexceed

Re: Lets' package up RAPPS and offer it as a download

Post by karlexceed »

Just as a test, I ran RApps from one of the latest boot CDs in Windows XP SP3 and was pleasantly surprised that not only did it run, but it was able to list all installed programs and updates.

Unfortunately, it was unable to download/update the app DB, so I couldn't use it for instaling.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Well, that's quite good news. I wonder what it is expecting that XP does not have?
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
learn_more
Developer

Post by learn_more »

dizt3mp3r wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 6:42 pm Well, that's quite good news. I wonder what it is expecting that XP does not have?
Up to date certificates?
Or security features from the last century.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

But XP DOES have security features from the last century...
learn_more
Developer

Post by learn_more »

dizt3mp3r wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 6:33 pm But XP DOES have security features from the last century...
no, the century before that ;)
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

learn_more wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 6:41 pm no, the century before that ;)
Brass locks, wrought iron clasps, a display projected on the inside of a large dark camera, a loaded flintlock held to the head of the user in case of mis-use. Sounds like my sort of computer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUxsCUVe5QU