Ophcrack port to reactos?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

mnjecx

Ophcrack port to reactos?

Post by mnjecx »

I have been using Ophcrack on Windows for years and it is a great free utility for recovering windows login password. Any similar programs ported to reactos? If yes, kindly let me know.

Thanks
EmuandCo
Developer

Re: Ophcrack port to reactos?

Post by EmuandCo »

No port needed, we are a "Windows"
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

Like EmuandCo said, this is a "Windows" operating system, just open source. We are not our own original OS-type, nor are we a type of Linux, but kind of like "Window's younger sister." Too many see "open source operating system" and assume Linux, much like when I mentioned that someone stole a person's "diabetes medication," they assumed I was discussing insulin (they didn't know about the type 2 diabetes drugs, and had I meant insulin, I'd have said that). Linux flavors are not the only open source operating systems.

So if you have a Windows program you like, such as Ophcrack, then try it on ReactOS. If it doesn't work, report it as not working in Jira, after first searching to see if the trouble you are having is not already listed in there as a bug. Developers should not change any Windows programs unless they don't work in Windows XP/2003. Instead, our developers need to fix ReactOS when it doesn't run things that would work fine in Windows XP/2003.
mnjecx

Post by mnjecx »

PurpleGurl wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:35 pm Like EmuandCo said, this is a "Windows" operating system, just open source. We are not our own original OS-type, nor are we a type of Linux, but kind of like "Window's younger sister." Too many see "open source operating system" and assume Linux, much like when I mentioned that someone stole a person's "diabetes medication," they assumed I was discussing insulin (they didn't know about the type 2 diabetes drugs, and had I meant insulin, I'd have said that). Linux flavors are not the only open source operating systems.

So if you have a Windows program you like, such as Ophcrack, then try it on ReactOS. If it doesn't work, report it as not working in Jira, after first searching to see if the trouble you are having is not already listed in there as a bug. Developers should not change any Windows programs unless they don't work in Windows XP/2003. Instead, our developers need to fix ReactOS when it doesn't run things that would work fine in Windows XP/2003.
Thanks for the clarification. totally understood now. I thought it was a Linux OS at first.
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

You are welcome. That's a common misconception of folks who are new to ReactOS. Part of the confusion comes from the fact that ReactOS uses a lot of Wine code (but not all of it). Essentially, it is a matter of including just the parts that would work in Windows and modifying some of the parts that require Linux/Posix calls to use Win32 calls instead.

And then some misunderstand what we mean by "from scratch." That means that it is coded without having ever seen Windows code, that someone created the code from scratch within an open source construct, even if it wasn't "us" specifically. When there are already other projects that have created various Windows components that ReactOS needs, then ReactOS will use their code, so long as the open source licenses are compatible and that the code has been lawfully coded. For instance, things such as leaked Microsoft source code, disassembly of Windows components, and anything written by anyone who ever seen/used such code or even the Windows Research Kernel (contains nondisclosure and non-compete clauses), are all forbidden. So as long as the code is legally "clean" in terms of copyrights and licenses, and it is a necessary component, ReactOS will likely use it. So it might not have been "us" who coded it from scratch, but we insure that someone has coded it from scratch, and that it doesn't use any copyrighted closed source code. So we use components such as UniATA, major portions of Wine, 3rd party open source font code, the Gecko rendering engine (in place of MSHTML), etc. There is no need to recode things that already exist in a usable form as open source.
mansfer

Post by mansfer »

You can find a lot of tools like the Ophack on Google , like the Offline NT Password & Registry Editor,Cain & Abel,Kon-Boot, and a lot of paid tools are also helpful if you're willing to pay.
Like : https://pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/
https://www.tunesbro.com/ophcrack-not-working.html
Last edited by mansfer on Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
mnjecx

Post by mnjecx »

mansfer wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:26 am You can find a lot of tools like the Ophack on Google , like the Offline NT Password & Registry Editor,Cain & Abel,Kon-Boot.
Thanks, I will test out later
travia11

Post by travia11 »

Ophcrack would have been great for users two years ago, but But 2017 yearslater,it's not as useful as it used to be,many users have complained that it has many bugs.
These tools are very popular:
https://www.winpwd.com/
http://www.tucows.com/preview/391886/LCP