Blue Screen crash on VirtualBox

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

ab396356

Blue Screen crash on VirtualBox

Post by ab396356 »

I have installed ReactOS-0.4.3-iso in an Oracle VirtualBox virtual machine but after installing devices and restarting, it always dies with a Blue Screen.

Virtual machine settings:
  • 512 MB base memory
  • 24 MB video memory
  • 1 GB VHD (Virtual Hard Disk)
Technical information:

Code: Select all

*** STOP: 0xC0000218 (0x00060010,0x00000000,0x00000000,0x00000000)
Screenshot:
[ external image ]
dizt3mp3r

Re: Blue Screen crash on VirtualBox

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Giving us memory and stuff is a nice 1st step, but what OS did you select as VM base? Which Version of VBOX is that?
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
ab396356

Post by ab396356 »

EmuandCo wrote:Giving us memory and stuff is a nice 1st step, but what OS did you select as VM base? Which Version of VBOX is that?

Code: Select all

Type: Microsoft Windows
Version: Windows 2003 (32-bit)

VirtualBox Graphical User Interface
Version 5.1.14 r112924 (Qt5.6.2)
I also tried using "Windows XP (32-bit)" but had the same crash. Specify what settings the VM should have for best compatibility with ReactOS.

And on the topic of the error message above: what does it mean? What is the reason for the crash?
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

Assuming this error works like on Windows, it has to do with a registry hive not getting loaded. It could be absent, corrupt, or not writable.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... or-message

So, you could be using a corrupted hard drive, or maybe this is a problem with the drivers or registry handling code in ROS.
Last edited by PurpleGurl on Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
ab396356

Post by ab396356 »

PurpleGurl wrote:Assuming this error works like on Windows, it was to do with a registry hive not getting loaded. It could be absent, corrupt, or not writable.
You are right. Upon reinstalling (all defaults and quick format), I now get an error "Importing binary hive failed!" as seen in the screenshot below:

[ external image ]
PurpleGurl wrote:So, you could be using a corrupted hard drive, or maybe this is a problem with the drivers or registry handling code in ROS.
I am reinstalling on a 1 GB VHD which I reformat every time (first time "long" format, since then "quick"). What can I do now to fix this, or what settings should I change in the VM?

If developers need more information for debugging, let me know how to provide it. Also, since you are distributing the .ISO images zipped, consider putting the .MD5 checksum of the image in that .ZIP file while you're at it.
MadWolf

Post by MadWolf »

hi
do you know that testing ReactOS-0.4.3 is pointless you are better testing Daily Builds https://reactos.org/getbuilds/ or 0.4.4 viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16220
AdrienTD

Post by AdrienTD »

Hi,
I used the ReactOS 0.4.5 Boot CD on VirtualBox 4.x.x and 5.1.22 and I get exactly the same thing stated in this thread.
The first time I installed ReactOS on the hard disk, then when booting the hard disk I got the graphical OOBE wizard (where I set the time, set the name and password of accounts, ...). The wizard finished and asked to reboot. But when I boot the harddisk again:
  • I get a BSOD with stop error 0xC0000218 (0x00060010, 0, 0, 0). When I run ReactOS in debug mode and with the COM port enabled I saw that an operation with the hive has failed (it checked whetever some numbers were what ReactOS expected), then it did an int3 software breakpoint and went into a kernel debugger.
  • I installed ReactOS again on a new harddrive. But after the OOBE, instead of a BSOD, the bootloader displays the message: Importing binary hive failed!
I suppose that after the first boot of ReactOS, the hive gets somehow corrupted. When I first boot ReactOS it works and displays the OOBE app, but when booting a second time it fails loading the hive.
Not sure if this is related with VirtualBox or maybe with the fact my CPU doesn't support hardware virtualization?
I am fully able to boot the ReactOS 0.4.4 Live CD, maybe because the Live CD already has an hive that works?
Hopefully there will be a fix because I would like to use the VirtualBox Guest Additions that I don't know how to install on a Live CD. :|
romulo27

Post by romulo27 »

for me it works perfect with "other windows 64 bit" (i put 64 bit even if it isnt 64 bit just for sure, and it works) still i use vmware, because my virtualbox is messed up after i installed a vpn service, and it now doesnt see my ethernet driver, just my vpn driver
gdsotirov

Post by gdsotirov »

I had the same problem with ReactOS 0.4.8-RC on ESXi 5.5, but after moving the virtual machine on another disk and creating new virtual disk the problem is gone.
kotleopold140

Post by kotleopold140 »

Last edited by kotleopold140 on Sun Dec 18, 2022 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

It would be quite helpful to tell us WHICH real hardware was used...
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

I'd also try one of the latest "nightly" builds.

Also, since you reopened a thread someone else started, I'd double-check to see if the BSOD codes are the same. Just because you have a blue screen, it doesn't mean you are both having the same error.

It is better to start your own thread and not reopen an old one that someone else started for what might be a different problem.

Also, you might want to check to see if the same Stop error is in Jira (our bug tracker). If not, you can put it there.
simontnms115

Post by simontnms115 »

I have same issue, let me know if any solution found.
binarymaster

Post by binarymaster »

simontnms115 wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 2:31 pm I have same issue, let me know if any solution found.
What are your VM settings?