USB initial plug and play support wine

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

ImperialSpectre

USB initial plug and play support wine

Post by ImperialSpectre »

With Wine starting to implement initial plug and play support for USB devices does that mean ReactOS might eventually get USB to work fully on the operating system? I occasionally go back and forth trying ReactOS out but every time when I try the setup installation my USB Keyboard constantly freezes and as well as the setup itself the only time when I'm able to install the ReactOS system is with a PS2 Keyboard which I find annoying when I have to change the keyboard constantly to try and test ReactOS. Just for the record in case you lot want to know what Keyboard and mouse I have I've got the Havit Magic Eagle Gaming keyboard and mouse also my motherboard since I've posted the bug report a long time ago was replaced with an ASUS B85-Pro gamer motherboard.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes
Quim

Re: USB initial plug and play support wine

Post by Quim »

ImperialSpectre wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 8:10 pm With Wine starting to implement initial plug and play support for USB devices does that mean ReactOS might eventually get USB to work fully on the operating system? I occasionally go back and forth trying ReactOS out but every time when I try the setup installation my USB Keyboard constantly freezes and as well as the setup itself the only time when I'm able to install the ReactOS system is with a PS2 Keyboard which I find annoying when I have to change the keyboard constantly to try and test ReactOS. Just for the record in case you lot want to know what Keyboard and mouse I have I've got the Havit Magic Eagle Gaming keyboard and mouse also my motherboard since I've posted the bug report a long time ago was replaced with an ASUS B85-Pro gamer motherboard.
We hope that USB support (1.0/1.1 and 2.x) will be full completed and enabled in ROS soon....
Maybe in Hackfest there will be some progress on it...
USB status: https://reactos.org/wiki/USB
Vgal work: http://vgal.ru.com/
Last edited by Quim on Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
Quim

Post by Quim »

So maybe finally programs like "Rufus" utility will work finally...
Last edited by Quim on Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
justincase

Post by justincase »

By "we", I assume you mean yourself, as the ReactOS project has made a point of not making time estimates, so even if the developers did have a timeframe in mind for full USB 1/2 support, they wouldn't be posting it here, and they wouldn't appreciate others doing so, as that just makes people disappointed when that estimate turns out to be wrong.
I reserve the right to ignore any portion of any post if I deem it not constructive or likely to cause the discussion to degenerate.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Demand #2 and #3
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

I think he means we hope...

At least I 'hope' he does.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

A group of people expecting something is not an order. You can expect all day, but that doesn't have to affect who is being expected from at all. A whole lot of people have been expecting ROS to be ready for a long time. So it is just an ideal. One's own expectation is an internal thing that does not inherently affect others. And using "we" is actually a way of showing respect and including others, IMHO, rather than being selfish.

Now, yeah, I am looking forward to USB support working, as that is among the main obstacles for working on real HW.
ThFabba
Developer

Post by ThFabba »

To actually answer the original question: no. There is no relation whatsoever between what Wine is implementing and what ROS needs for improved USB support. Wine is improving support for recognizing HID devices that are attached to the Linux host (i.e. using Linux USB drivers) and presenting them to Win32 apps as Win32 HID devices. ROS needs an actual NT-compatible USB driver stack.
That said, as others have already indicated, a new USB driver stack for ROS is work in progress.