Lenovo Y520 15IKBN - Blue Screen of Death

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

morselina

Lenovo Y520 15IKBN - Blue Screen of Death

Post by morselina »

[ external image ]

Even with latest nightly build and with 0.4.11 same error.

Any ideas ?
oldman

Re: Lenovo Y520 15IKBN - Blue Screen of Death

Post by oldman »

morselina wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:10 pm Any ideas ?
The answer to your question is no, but you could supply more information.

To show that screen, you have been able to complete the first stage, so what file system have you installed on?

When you see Kdb:> type bt and take another photo.

Read this page.
Please keep the Windows classic 9x/2000 look and feel.
The layman's guides - debugging - bug reporting - compiling - ISO remaster.
They may help you with a problem, so do have a look at them.
binarymaster

Post by binarymaster »

morselina wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:10 pm Even with latest nightly build and with 0.4.11 same error.
This screenshot^W photo looks like a typical try to boot from USB, which is not supported yet.
Illen

Post by Illen »

morselina wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:10 pm Any ideas ?
Lenovo Y520 15IKBN is an Intel 170 chipset based laptop. Since it has no optical drive and has only the xHCI USB ports, the two only ways to boot ReactOS are RAM boot or PXE boot. Please refer to one of these tutorials, if you get past that and it still fails (you might have issues eg. with HDA), put the photo with backtrace, as oldman said. Also, use the 0.4.11 release if you want to access the internal drive, because of UniATA still being regressed in latest master.
morselina

Post by morselina »

Yes, i try to boot from USB 3 - also on another new Lenovo 330 i tried the same and again with Blue Screen.

Both laptops don't have optical drive.

I tried again, now the backtrace from USB boot looks like /reactos-livecd-0.4.13-dev-744-g6642dbc-x86-gcc-lin-dbg.iso/ :

[ external image ]
ThFabba
Developer

Post by ThFabba »

As already mentioned, USB boot is not yet supported and known to be broken. However, even once that's fixed, we have no USB3 support at this time, so booting from that will not work for the foreseeable future.
binarymaster

Post by binarymaster »

morselina wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:44 pm Yes, i try to boot from USB 3 - also on another new Lenovo 330 i tried the same and again with Blue Screen.
Not big surprise.
ThFabba wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:12 am However, even once that's fixed, we have no USB3 support at this time, so booting from that will not work for the foreseeable future.
The mentioned RAM Boot method will work with USB 3.
morselina

Post by morselina »

I tried yesterday twice RAM boot but when i booted from USB got error : freeldr.sys not found and laptop reboots soon after.

What i do :

I burn the release image and there is a folder where installfreeldr is located.
Then i type installfreeldr X: FAT32
where X is my actual drive letter

Then i copy-paste freeldr.ini to my ini at flash drive and reboot and boot from USB with legacy BIOS support and bum freeldr.sys not found.

Maybe it should be placed in root folder or renamed somehow else ...
Illen

Post by Illen »

morselina wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:07 am I burn the release image and there is a folder where installfreeldr is located.
You don't need to do that. You just extract the installfreeldr and setupldr.sys, then run installfreeldr and write bootsector on your USB drive, which you already did. Now what you need to do is to copy setupldr.sys from LiveCD to the root of USB drive, and rename it to freeldr.sys. Then you just copy the LiveCD image (don't burn, flash, extract it or whatever, just copy it as-is) to the root of USB drive and rename to livecd.iso, and it should work.