I want to support, but first I need to know if I can...

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

Radia Linux

I want to support, but first I need to know if I can...

Post by Radia Linux »

The title may be confusing, but I believe it accurately describes my scenario.
I want to help with the ReactOS project, and I am thinking about making a computer manufacture company called Radia Linux (Hence my name :D ), which will specialize in Linux specifically. This is where you come in. I wish to make a line for ReactOS devices too, but I would need to know a few things.

Is there a way to donate a portion of the profits from this line (I was thinking 45%) for every sale?

Is there support for modern hardware (Like Intel Integrated Graphics, AMD Radeon Vega, NVidia GeForce GT 1000+, etc), or is support planned for a later release? (Gaming may not be important at first, I can start off with weaker machines better suited for general purpose such as web browsing and taxes (And Minecraft :D ).

Is there a way to load specialized drivers for Windows 10 (Such as those used with specific motherboards)?

Is there a way to perform an OEM install?

Assuming I can perform an OEM install, Is there a way to set the default theme for the Interface to something similar to the Windows Vista or Windows 7 interface?

And lastly, Should the user find it necessary, Is it possible to run a Windows 10 Virtual Machine well on ReactOS?

I hope these questions can be answered soon, but I'm in no hurry. It'll probably be 6 months or so before I can start up.
Zero3K

Re: I want to support, but first I need to know if I can...

Post by Zero3K »

I am going to say that the answer to all questions you have is a NO. It is WAAAAAAYYYYY too soon for it to be sold on devices.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Yeah, this will still take a while before you can try such things. Right now best success with drivers are the Windows 2003/XP ones. VMs except QEMU are not really working. OEM install would be modifying thwe source in our case I fear. These support is there and we have a few for selection,so if you have a theme with XP/2003 support... yeah should work. Recent Minecraft does NOT work. Java is not the real problem, but the launcher does not work. Sooo... I think I answered all and did not forget one ^^
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
binarymaster

Post by binarymaster »

Radia Linux wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:14 pm And lastly, Should the user find it necessary, Is it possible to run a Windows 10 Virtual Machine well on ReactOS?
In theory it could be possible, because it's possible to run Windows 8 x64 in a virtual machine in ReactOS, see this post: viewtopic.php?p=138212#p138212
Radia Linux

Post by Radia Linux »

EmuandCo wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:26 am Yeah, this will still take a while before you can try such things. Right now best success with drivers are the Windows 2003/XP ones. VMs except QEMU are not really working. OEM install would be modifying thwe source in our case I fear. These support is there and we have a few for selection,so if you have a theme with XP/2003 support... yeah should work. Recent Minecraft does NOT work. Java is not the real problem, but the launcher does not work. Sooo... I think I answered all and did not forget one ^^
Fun fact: I actually got the newer launcher working no problem... It took a bit of tweaking, but it can be done (Though I gave up after the 6th time of doing it after an update).
Also for most things I use the older launcher anyway ^^!

Thank you for your answers though, as they're very helpful! I will see to it that a ReactOS line is made in the future (It'll take quite a bit to start up though XD), assuming OEM install becomes possible in the future. I hope to see a day in which the ReactOS platform reaches release ^^. I believe ReactOS would be beneficial for every Windows user in what I hope is the near future :D .
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

I would be very interested in which launcher you used ^^ Useful to show stuff on ReactOS booths is always needed
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
ROCKNROLLKID

Post by ROCKNROLLKID »

Radia Linux wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:08 am
EmuandCo wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:26 am Yeah, this will still take a while before you can try such things. Right now best success with drivers are the Windows 2003/XP ones. VMs except QEMU are not really working. OEM install would be modifying thwe source in our case I fear. These support is there and we have a few for selection,so if you have a theme with XP/2003 support... yeah should work. Recent Minecraft does NOT work. Java is not the real problem, but the launcher does not work. Sooo... I think I answered all and did not forget one ^^
Fun fact: I actually got the newer launcher working no problem... It took a bit of tweaking, but it can be done (Though I gave up after the 6th time of doing it after an update).
Also for most things I use the older launcher anyway ^^!

Thank you for your answers though, as they're very helpful! I will see to it that a ReactOS line is made in the future (It'll take quite a bit to start up though XD), assuming OEM install becomes possible in the future. I hope to see a day in which the ReactOS platform reaches release ^^. I believe ReactOS would be beneficial for every Windows user in what I hope is the near future :D .
I wouldn't shoot down ReactOS that quick. I assume you are only in the planning phase of your product line? It will be quite a while before you actually start shipping pcs out. I would say once you get to that point, come back to ReactOS and check up with us. I have already seen ReactOS runnign quite well on some systems, even a user posted recently he got it working on a old Thinkpad. I can only imagine ReactOS being even more stable by the time you are ready to start shipping pcs.