How to Install Virtual Box Guest Additions

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

Harley55

How to Install Virtual Box Guest Additions

Post by Harley55 »

Virtual Box is installed on C: Win10 drive. ReactOS is install on E: drive. Which file should I use to install guest additions I tried the .exe files and I get an error
EmuandCo
Developer

Re: How to Install Virtual Box Guest Additions

Post by EmuandCo »

The same you use for WIndows XP/2003 aka the Button for putting Guest Additions to virtual CD drive. And... WHICH ERROR?
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
Harley55

Post by Harley55 »

error e000020b unknown error execution returned exit code 2. It also says to check the log file. But it doesn't create one where it says to look.
Zero3K

Post by Zero3K »

Are you trying to dual boot boot ReactOS and install the Guest Additions when booted from it?
Harley55

Post by Harley55 »

No I'm not duel booting Virtual Box is installed on C: Win10 drive. ReactOS is install on E: drive
binarymaster

Post by binarymaster »

Harley55 wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:59 am No I'm not duel booting Virtual Box is installed on C: Win10 drive. ReactOS is install on E: drive
ReactOS should be installed on VirtualBox virtual drive, why you are using physical E: drive? :|
Harley55

Post by Harley55 »

I've always used a separate drive for Linux Distros. If anything goes wrong it doesn't affect Windows 10 drive. I have six flavors on drive E: Is there a reason why guest additions error out here.
binarymaster

Post by binarymaster »

Harley55 wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:00 pm I've always used a separate drive for Linux Distros. If anything goes wrong it doesn't affect Windows 10 drive. I have six flavors on drive E: Is there a reason why guest additions error out here.
ReactOS is not Linux at all and not meant to be installed with it.
Harley55

Post by Harley55 »

It is installed on E: drive and works fine. I would like to know how to get guest additions to work on E: drive also.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

If the setup does not allow you to change it then the problem clearly is Oracle's fault. In theory it even should change it by default because the environment variable %programfiles% has the real path inside. In your case there shoudl be "E:\Program Files" inside
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
ThFabba
Developer

Post by ThFabba »

The drive that ReactOS is installed on is C: by definition, so clearly you're doing something strange. Can you describe your configuration in more detail? You say your host machine is Win10 and installed on C: -- so what is the configuration of the ReactOS virtual machine (and is it really a VM or are you dual-booting)? Does it use a physical drive?

Error e000020b seems to indicate that you're trying to install Guest Additions somewhere that's not a VirtualBox VM (e.g. on the host). Guest Additions are only useful if ReactOS is running inside VirtualBox, not if it's running on hardware.
Harley55

Post by Harley55 »

Oracle Virtual Box is installed on C:/. I use a physical E:/ to run others OS's in virtualbox. That's where ReactOS is residing in a vm environment.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Am I the only one not understanding what he wants? Noone cares about where the VM resides on your PC. Not even the VM itself does. You have drive C in the VM regardless of what your PC has because the system runs on VBox and NOT on your PC. You install it the same way as on XP regardless of the fact where your HDD image resides. Open VM, boot, insert the ISO for installing the Additions and install them. That's it.

binarymaster

Post by binarymaster »

EmuandCo wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:02 am Am I the only one not understanding what he wants?
Me neither. :roll: I only can think he is doing something wrong due to his own wrong assumptions.
Harley55

Post by Harley55 »

EmuandCo you had the answer. When I installed ReactOS I didn't chose XP in VM I chose Linux other. Once I reloaded using XP guest additions works now.