Boot from USB Drive?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

ImperialSpectre

Boot from USB Drive?

Post by ImperialSpectre »

According to some reports on another thread on the General Discussion page apparently in the Nightly's build you can apparently now boot from USB if the post is true. I've tried the recent Nightly's on a USB drive and it doesn't yet boot from the USB and after the loading sequence it just goes to a black screen is this feature still being worked on? When will that feature be implemented officially on the official .iso's? I've heard a rumour that this may be implemented on the 0.4.13 version once out but not sure if its true. Also the USB Keyboard still freezes on the first stage setup when it reaches the language selection if anyone want to know my keyboard type and make its the Havit Magic Eagle gaming keyboard series.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes
karlexceed

Re: Boot from USB Drive?

Post by karlexceed »

ImperialSpectre wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:40 pm I've tried the recent Nightly's on a USB drive and it doesn't yet boot
Is this on real hardware or a VM?
ImperialSpectre wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:40 pm is this feature still being worked on?
Yes.
ImperialSpectre wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:40 pm When will that feature be implemented officially on the official .iso's?
I can't say for certain.
ImperialSpectre wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:40 pm Also the USB Keyboard still freezes on the first stage setup when it reaches the language selection if anyone want to know my keyboard type and make its the Havit Magic Eagle gaming keyboard series.
This may be because of your keyboard - it's more than JUST a keyboard. There are LEDs and other features that might be affecting it's ability to work at this early stage of setup. I'd suggest to try again with a normal keyboard.
Quim

Post by Quim »

ImperialSpectre wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:40 pm According to some reports on another thread on the General Discussion page apparently in the Nightly's build you can apparently now boot from USB if the post is true. I've tried the recent Nightly's on a USB drive and it doesn't yet boot from the USB and after the loading sequence it just goes to a black screen is this feature still being worked on? When will that feature be implemented officially on the official .iso's? I've heard a rumour that this may be implemented on the 0.4.13 version once out but not sure if its true. Also the USB Keyboard still freezes on the first stage setup when it reaches the language selection if anyone want to know my keyboard type and make its the Havit Magic Eagle gaming keyboard series.
Did you also test vgal builds?
http://vgal.ru.com/
Last edited by Quim on Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Quim

Post by Quim »

karlexceed wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:26 pm This may be because of your keyboard - it's more than JUST a keyboard. There are LEDs and other features that might be affecting it's ability to work at this early stage of setup.
What other features have modern USB keyboards that are so differents than PS/2 keyboards?
karlexceed

Post by karlexceed »

Quim wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:21 pm What other features have modern USB keyboards that are so differents than PS/2 keyboards?
In this particular case, the keyboard OP mentions ("Havit Magic Eagle gaming keyboard") has RGB LEDs and "shortcut keys".
middings

Post by middings »

Does the Havit Magic Eagle gaming keyboard require a driver? Is a suitable driver for Windows XP available?
karlexceed

Post by karlexceed »

Compatible with Windows 2000 / 2003 / XP / Vista / Win7 / Win8 /Win10/Mac OS/Linux ( Warm Tips: The 8 multimedia shortcut keys only work with Windows system)
It's not clear if there's a driver requirement or not, but it certainly *should* work with ROS. I just suggested trying a more basic keyboard as a possible troubleshooting step. The likely real issue is the fact that it's USB.
pauljohnson17

Post by pauljohnson17 »

Looking forward to the boot from a USB drive feature. Have an old drive-less laptop I'd like to use it on.
Kidplayer_666

Post by Kidplayer_666 »

Will that feature be included with the future react os 4.1.3?
karlexceed

Post by karlexceed »

I don't believe so. But you can try the latest RC ISO for 0.4.13 and see if it works for you: https://reactos.org/wiki/Tests_for_0.4.13