Elite Dangerous/Star Citizen

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Maylor Rom

Elite Dangerous/Star Citizen

Post by Maylor Rom »

Hello

I am trying to get Elite Dangerous and Star Citizen to run successfully on ReactOS.

These are two important space games in the gaming community, and if they will run on ReactOS, you will have a very large group of supporters for this platform. I will be feeding my results from testing these two games in this OS back to this forum.

I have worked at Microsoft, in the Windows Systems Group for a number of years and although retired now, I would like to offer "software testing" on the two above mentioned games.

Thanks.
ThePhysicist
Developer

Re: Elite Dangerous/Star Citizen

Post by ThePhysicist »

Hi,
Thanks for your interest in ReactOS. First of all, I have to point out, that quite a number of applications and games do not work on ReactOS yet, and I personally don't know Elite Dangerous or Star Citizen, and while they might be great games, they probably can't compete with "Make the latest Firefox version work". But I don't want to discourage you. If you think these games are relevant, I would like to encourage you to try and when you hit a problem, ask here or in chat.reactos.org (Our Mattermost server). If the games don't work, create a bugreport with a detailed analysis of what is failing, providing as much information as you can get (detailed description, screenshots, debuglogs, own debugging sessions ... if you have been working as a software engeneer at MS you will probably know best how to create an excellent bugreport). This still doesn't mean that this will be taken on by anyone directly, as we have only few developers and more than enough things to fix/implement to be busy until the sun runs our of hydrogen, but a good bugreport is a good start.. From there, to get attention, I would suggest you join our chat (chat.reactos.org - Development channel), and ask for guidance on how to possibly get the right people interested and how to help with testing.
karlexceed

Post by karlexceed »

A quick Google search led me to the following results for minimum system requirements:

Elite Dangerous: Windows 7 SP1 32-bit.
Star Citizen: 64 bit version Window (Windows 7 service pack 1 (64 bit) or higher)

ReactOS is currently targeting Server 2003 / XP for compatibility. If the installers for these games are checking the OS, they will likely currently fail to install. If there are no checks or if the compatibility layer can successfully lie to the installers, then it's just a matter of what API calls from NT 6+ the games rely on.

Another thing to note is that Star Citizen requires 64 bit and also apparently 16+ GB RAM. Since ROS is currently 32 bit only, this may be an issue as well.
Maylor Rom

Post by Maylor Rom »

Well, if a browser does not work, you are miles away from getting any game working. I have tested the installs for both games and they crashed without giving any error as to why. Being totally unfamiliar with ReactOS, I could not guess why. Most likely, paths do not exist, no access to registy values, a dot-net framework being unavailable and no way to tell what the installer is doing.

So, we are stuck with either Linux or Windows until someone comes up with a third alternative which can do both. That would be a miracle.
ThFabba
Developer

Post by ThFabba »

Maylor Rom wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:41 pm Well, if a browser does not work, you are miles away from getting any game working.
FYI, most games are _way_ less complex than modern browsers. They generally just require a window and some API to draw on it (of course DX11 as an important example of such an API _is_ complex; but that's a part of why Vista+ support is hard).
Browsers these days perform extremely intricate memory management, utilizing complex OS features for maximum performance, and make assumptions about many undocumented implementation details in the OS in order to implement their sandboxes.

In any case, until ROS has the whole compatibility layer figured out more, it's of course best to start by testing apps that run on Windows XP or Server 2003, or you'll be disappointed a lot more than necessary.
MadWolf

Post by MadWolf »

Elite Dangerous is a dx11 game and Star Citizen is a 64bit game

testing games you want to look for games that are 32bit and use DirectX 9 and you may need to use user created patches
Quim

Post by Quim »

MadWolf wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:52 am testing games you want to look for games that are 32bit and use DirectX 9 and you may need to use user created patches
Gamers are needed for intensive game testing! :D

I can remember in my time: "Kkrieger-beta", "INCOMING lux et robur", "INCOMING FORCES", "WillRock", "HALF LIFE 2", "Serious Sam" I, 2, "Counter Strike", "BLOOD 2 The Chosen", "SHOGO Mobile Armor Division" and so many others...(it would be better to have a list of working videogames).

Lookin into webpages that have videogames demos is also another option...
Thanatophobia

Post by Thanatophobia »

But the true question is,...

...can ReactOS run Duke Nukem Forever?
Quim

Post by Quim »

Thanatophobia wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:10 pm But the true question is,...

If it works under Windows XP, you can try running it under ReactOS, with "Mesa 3D" installed. Just make an .iso with the game and Mesa 3D to mount it under VirtualBox, QEMU in ROS.
Do you have any link to download this game demo?
ROCKNROLLKID

Post by ROCKNROLLKID »

Quim wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:39 pm
Thanatophobia wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:10 pm But the true question is,...

If it works under Windows XP, you can try running it under ReactOS, with "Mesa 3D" installed. Just make an .iso with the game and Mesa 3D to mount it under VirtualBox, QEMU in ROS.
Do you have any link to download this game demo?
I think you missed the joke.
crackez

Post by crackez »

I've played elite dangerous ...a demanding game and reactos can't run this, shouldn't be able to play this at reasonable speed anytime soon

Also this game is buy-only, it's an online game, one time purchase
Quim

Post by Quim »

crackez wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:02 am Also this game is buy-only, it's an online game, one time purchase
What about a demo for free download? (All games should have a demo...).
crackez

Post by crackez »

Quim wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:24 pm
crackez wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:02 am Also this game is buy-only, it's an online game, one time purchase
What about a demo for free download? (All games should have a demo...).
No, I have this as a friend of mine bought it for me. I told him that I'd prefer to check it first but there no such option and he lives in a different country so he bought it for me anyway