Why isn't USB working?

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

j199918

Why isn't USB working?

Post by j199918 »

I saw that a while back the new USB stack was merged. I burnt a bootcd and tried to install it on an old PC (HP D220 desktop). To my surprise the keyboard didn't work at all on the first screen! Why is that?
EmuandCo
Developer

Re: Why isn't USB working?

Post by EmuandCo »

Well... My crystal ball is in dry cleaning right now, so: https://reactos.org/wiki/Debugging that we at least have a FEW information about the problems.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
middings

Post by middings »

j199918 wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:28 amI burnt a bootcd and tried to install it...
Thank you for experimenting with ReactOS and letting us know the results that you saw. To have a chance of resolving the issue you encountered, we need some more information.

What is "it"? Did you burn an actual CD or did you copy the .iso file to a USB thumb drive and try to install ReactOS from that?
Also, please specify the exact release or daily build of ReactOS that you tried.
...on an old PC (HP D220 desktop).
Was it this PC? https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp ... /c00245694

If not, please list the product's specifications or provide a link to a comparable web page of specifications for your HP D220 desktop PC.

Also, please describe:
  • which operating system (if any) was installed in your PC at the factory
  • how much memory is installed in your PC
  • any devices attached to or installed in your PC, especially USB devices
  • any software, including drivers, that you added to the ReactOS install CD and how you added it
I strongly recommend reading How to Report Bugs Effectively by Simon Tatham, best known as the author of the widely used PuTTY program. His essay describes the information that one should supply when making support requests or bug reports (whether formal or informal).

What have you done to try to resolve the problem yourself? The first topic listed in the ReactOS Support forum is [ReadThis]ReactOS doesn't work in my computer!! Have you read it? The first post is all that is necessary to read, all the rest of the thread is mostly unhelpful chatter. That first post is becoming a bit obsolete but still describes a 'quick and dirty' way to capture useful debug information after a ReactOS crash.

Again, thank you for giving ReactOS a go on your PC. Please post additional information about your experience so others here can help you.
j199918

Post by j199918 »

I'm not new to the project at all (I've been following it since 2013 and donated a few times). I check the GitHub repo all the time just to see what new stuff is being requested and merged every day. It seems like since 0.4.0 came out progress has skyrocketed... Yeah, still lots of stuff to do, but it is beyond impressive regardless. It is easily my most favorite project of any kind (open-source or not).

Yeah, I burnt an actual CD (revision g97d937a - I never use the actual releases since they are usually way behind the devbuilds). The USB boot support is seemingly non-existent outside of RAM boot so that isn't an option. That and the low RAM amount (mentioned below) would prevent me from loading the image in memory and being able to do anything meaningful afterwards...

Anyways: Yes, that is the machine. It is just a spare one I have laying around. To answer the bullet-points:

1. It had XP Home Edition on it prior to me getting it.
2. 256 MB. I plan on bringing it up to 1 GB or higher...
3. I made sure to only attach the USB keyboard / mouse, and of course the VGA and power cables. I didn't plug in the ethernet or speakers as I wanted to make sure I had a "barebones" setup right off the bat, just to minimize any potential issues...
4. I didn't add any stuff to this particular ISO, but, however: I like to open bootcd ISOs and I create new directories in the root (usually to store drivers for the specific machine). I use UltraISO to do this. Not sure if it is recommended...

Anyways, I think this machine has a serial port, but my work area's setup prevents me from having more than one machine plugged in and used at once...
binarymaster

Post by binarymaster »

j199918 wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:28 am I burnt a bootcd and tried to install it on an old PC (HP D220 desktop). To my surprise the keyboard didn't work at all on the first screen!
Don't expect all USB things magically working, we're still alpha at the moment. I think you should create a ticket in JIRA regarding your problem with USB keyboard.
j199918 wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:22 am Anyways, I think this machine has a serial port, but my work area's setup prevents me from having more than one machine plugged in and used at once...
If you don't have a second PC to capture debug log via serial, here are some options:
1. A laptop or netbook with Serial to USB converter
2. One of JIRA users used this method to obtain debug log with an audio card:

[ external image ]

(clickable image)
ToKa

Post by ToKa »

I have the same problem with a Compaq Evo with no OS installed.
The USB keyboard drops dead at the moment the install-screen shows up to select the preferred language.
I used debug version daily build 9199c90.
ToKa

Post by ToKa »

Ok the issue is solved.
The machine was also equipped with a VIA PCI USB 2.0 card. Removing that one solved the issue.
However the keyboard NumLock, CapsLock and ScrollLock are still not functioning.
I'm still wondering why ROS doesn't support kernel debugging with ethernet?
Now a day's this is the standard with a Intel pro or equivalent card, much faster and saves a lot of hassle as with a null-modem cable.
ThFabba
Developer

Post by ThFabba »

The answer to this type of question is usually very straightforward: because nobody has implemented it.
ToKa

Post by ToKa »

The counter question is: Nobody from who or what?
ToKa

Post by ToKa »

..and maybe you could define "type of question" as well?
ThFabba
Developer

Post by ThFabba »

The type of question is "Why is feature X not supported in ReactOS".
And nobody simply means nobody. As in, not a single person in the world. Anybody is free to contribute to the project, but nobody has contributed this particular feature (like lots of others).