Reactos 0.4.12 and Windows 10 Hyper-V

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

skinner36

Reactos 0.4.12 and Windows 10 Hyper-V

Post by skinner36 »

Hi,

I am trying to create a virtual Reactos 0.4.12 machine using Windows 10 Pro and Hyper-V.

After creating the virtual machine I start it and a black screen with a very grey bar at the bottom displayed very briefly. After that only a black screen is displayed with the virtual machine in a state of state or running.

I have tried different settings for the creation of the virtual machine but all end up with the same result.

I am keen to test Reactos so any help would be very much appreciated

Thanks,

John
karlexceed

Re: Reactos 0.4.12 and Windows 10 Hyper-V

Post by karlexceed »

Unfortunately, the only way to find out what might be going on is to get a log file from the VM.

In the instructions here: https://reactos.org/wiki/Hyper-V there's a mention of attaching a virtual serial port to a named pipe. Once you do this, you can follow the instructions here: https://reactos.org/wiki/VirtualBox#Get ... bug_output for an idea of how to connect with PuTTY and get the data.

Then, armed with your log file you can: https://reactos.org/wiki/File_Bugs
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Very important is that you create a V1 Hyper-V VM, otherwise you are forced to UEFI which is not fully working yet.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
skinner36

Post by skinner36 »

Thank you for the replies.

karlexceed, I had a look at the page regarding debugging a virtual machine but in my case I don't have a virtual machine installed yet to turn the debugger on.

EmuandCo, I deleted the network card, SCSI device and hard disk and recreated it again as a vhd. I also made sure that it was a V1 virtual machine. All with no luck
skinner36

Post by skinner36 »

Hi,

I gave up on this as getting it working with Hyper-v wasn't my primary objective. I used Virtualbox and it worked like a charm
Kirkaiya

Post by Kirkaiya »

I am having the same issue. I created a Hyper-V vm, with no network card, and used the IDE controller to add hdd1.vhd (1 GB, .vhd). I don't see any options for setting partition type (so hopefully it's MBR). I set the DVD drive to point to the ReactOS-0.4.13.iso file.

When it boots, it flashes "checking hardware" and then "Loading boot drivers", then nothing - just a black screen. I'm also going to try VirtualBox, since I don't really care which VM tech is used, although if the Hyper-V was working, that would be great, since it's already on my laptop.
Kirkaiya

Post by Kirkaiya »

And, like the other user, it went fine with VirtualBox. I'm at the desktop, and letting it install the Multimedia audio device.
larryhyman

Post by larryhyman »

When ever I install a os in hyper v and I get a blank screen, I do these 2 things to fix it. 1) I se the min and the max memory to 4096 and 2) if still not fixed, I try to log in in enhanced mode

I hope this helps
rootvenal

Post by rootvenal »

larryhyman wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 8:56 pm When ever I install a os in hyper v and I get a blank screen, I do these 2 things to fix it. 1) I se the min and the max memory to 4096 and 2) if still not fixed, I try to log in in enhanced mode

I hope this helps
These two methods are not effective for me. Can you suggest another way to do it?