REACTOSE - Proposal for annual ReactOS conference

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, drop it in here. (not to be used as a chat/nonsense section)

Moderator: Moderator Team

erkinalp

REACTOSE - Proposal for annual ReactOS conference

Post by erkinalp »

Many software topics have their own conferences. Why do we lack such a conference? What could be improved during such conferences?
Etymology of name: ReactOS + ose
-uses Ubuntu+GNOME 3 GNU/Linux
-likes Free (as in freedom) and Open Source Detergents
-favors open source of Windows 10 under GPL2
EmuandCo
Developer

Re: REACTOSE - Proposal for annual ReactOS conference

Post by EmuandCo »

Like our Hackfest but more public you mean? Well, a conference means we have many things to show. As we all know the development speed is not on a level to do a conference entertaining ppl a few days full of news and interesting topics. For now we are on linux conferences/expositions like CLT and FOSDEM which are far from being small or unknown. This and the hackfest is all we can fill right now I guess. I often have my problems to answer the yearly questions like "What did change?" "Can ROS run xyz now?" because most things changing are important, that for sure, but good luck explaining a user what all these commits do regarding their questions. A not that easy task. These users are to a big amount more interested in theming than a way more stable core btw. Of course we have many nerds there and these ask in other directions and appreciate all stuff in the lowest level of the OS, but these are not the majority.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
erkinalp

Post by erkinalp »

Yes, the ReactOSers would showcase the ReactOSe (the sweet parts of ReactOS, like fructose of fruits) in ReactOSe.
We could follow a format similar to WinOps, the Windows DevOps Conference.
-uses Ubuntu+GNOME 3 GNU/Linux
-likes Free (as in freedom) and Open Source Detergents
-favors open source of Windows 10 under GPL2
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

It is a good idea. Perhaps for the near future?
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
karlexceed

Post by karlexceed »

In the future where there could be a weekend (or even just a day) full of presentations, this could be an interesting idea. But there's not that many people doing big things in/with ROS. You can't have a list of presentations like, "Hey, this works in ReactOS. This also works in ReactOS."

What you need are a combination of technical things and 'fun' things. Maybe something like, "I've been working on getting Samba integrated. These are the challenges I faced, so here's how I addressed that. Now here's a limited demo on my custom build." And then the next talk is about using ReactOS to build POS terminals, then someone talking about 3D hardware or MIDI or printing or whatever.

But then there are two other factors that integrate into each other: the attendance and the location. And we can assume if it were to happen at any point in the next few years, it will probably be in Europe. And then how many will come? More than a Hackfest? Twice as many? How much do you charge those 20-30 people to attend in order to justify the space you'll need to rent?

The most realistic way to do something like this would be orchestrate a virtual conference. People can submit videos, maybe have a core dev do a live keynote... Put it all on Twitch/Youtube/Peertube.