Re: Mascot for ReactOS

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

petr-akhlamov

Post by petr-akhlamov »

I right away want to say, this (as and previous) images i drawed "just for fan". Please, don't toss to me totten tomatoes and egges)))
Draft:
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
mascot "sawing USB". (in russian slang "sawing" - active write code, develope)
[ external image ]
Bug!:
[ external image ]
As suggested by tomleem - Qiwi:
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
petr-akhlamov

Post by petr-akhlamov »

Yet one variant of Reactly.
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
PurpleGurl

Re: Re: Mascot for ReactOS

Post by PurpleGurl »

Why is the girl cutting herself? Oh, never heard of "sawing" USB. So a Russian pun. But the more I think of it, the more it makes sense since, in the US, we do have a tool that is called a hacksaw. And yes, our USB code is still a bit "hacky."
petr-akhlamov

Post by petr-akhlamov »

PurpleGurl wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:47 am Why is the girl cutting herself?
She have usb-logo in left hand. He, probably, turned out fuzzy. I, maybe, will redraw it.
PurpleGurl wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:47 am And yes, our USB code is still a bit "hacky."
Originally, i wanted draw sea shell - pun too - shell: explorer and shell: sea. But, later, due difficulties i invented pun with "sawing".
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

Yeah, I had to look closer to see the USB "trident" logo.
petr-akhlamov

Post by petr-akhlamov »

In one telegram channel someone published this variant:
[ external image ]
source: https://t.me/theaftertimes/6039
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

These Japanese style big-eyed 'girl' drawings trivialise the seriousness of the work that has gone into ReactOS. There is always a sense of implied sexuality in the whole genre and it is wholly incorrect for any association with a body of work such as ours which wants the world to take it seriously. This style of art is a reflection on the mind of those that propose it, is immature at best and the implications of using such a mascot would be seriously negative on ReactOS itself.

The point is that whether you think this way or not being immured to the implications of the style by decades of exposure, there are many that do think it is plain 'wrong' and it is this proportion that you do not want to alienate. Let's call them the old-fashioned grown-ups but they do exist as a group.

It is great to see contributions from anyone concerning a potential mascot. A Linux-style penguin or similar might be acceptable but a big-eyed girl in a mini-skirt is just - NOT. Let's stop these contributions please as it trivialises ReactOS and more importantly, gives the wrong impression to the outside world.

If you need an explanation as to why - This sort of image becoming prevalent on our intellectual offering would make the world view us as a load of teenage-minded boys sitting at our 'puters 24 hrs a day "getting off" on images of young females. The association is one to be avoided if ReactOS wants to take its place in the world as a serious tool.

I always thought the idea of a mascot was a little trite but I'd accept that the community might like one - but this stuff - let's nip it in the bud please.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
karlexceed

Post by karlexceed »

I don't imagine that this character would ever become an 'official' mascot in any way. And because of that, I don't see any harm in allowing the members of the community to have fun with a cartoon personification of this project. Every major OS, web browser, and even websites and other software projects have unofficial cartoon characters that members of their community or the general public have created. Many of these are in an ''anime girl" style.
[ external image ]
[ external image ]

If the idea of a girl seems so inappropriate to you, perhaps a male cartoon would be better?
[ external image ]

Also, this character does not appear to be wearing a "mini-skirt", but a fairly normal variation on a school uniform which is very typical. All of the things that you bring up seem to be your own opinions/biases/hang-ups. You can choose to simply not engage with this content, rather than shaking your finger or metaphorically shouting 'get off my lawn'. The most popular version of the web browser characters are from a female cartoonist (https://twitter.com/Merryweatherey) who has nothing to do with anything technical - far from a "teenage-minded boy sitting at a 'puter 24 hrs a day".

These types of characters aren't really mascots per se, but they can be a way for some people to engage with the project whether you approve or not.
binarymaster

Post by binarymaster »

dizt3mp3r wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:09 pm These Japanese style big-eyed 'girl' drawings trivialise the seriousness of the work that has gone into ReactOS. There is always a sense of implied sexuality in the whole genre and it is wholly incorrect for any association with a body of work such as ours which wants the world to take it seriously. This style of art is a reflection on the mind of those that propose it, is immature at best and the implications of using such a mascot would be seriously negative on ReactOS itself.
This character is called Ros-Chan, and she never was proposed as a project's mascot. It was created by the community just for fun. ;)

The original thread is here:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=17086 (archived copy)

Ah and also as I can see, you hated it from the very beginning. :|
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

binarymaster wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:47 pm Ah and also as I can see, you hated it from the very beginning. :|
Oh yes, absolutely, hatred for the image is an appropriate description.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
John Doe

Post by John Doe »

I'm not sure whether anyone has said this already, but I'd like to point out Windows 10 has an official "anime-style" girl mascot in Japan, and her skirt is way shorter. I'm also fairly confident that even v1+ ReactOS will never overtake Windows among "mature, old-fashioned adults" or become common-place(not niche or for specific tasks). Windows itself is dying. Younger people are generally using personal computers less and less too. Because ReactOS is open source, there's probably eventually going to be many offshoots with all sorts of mascots. I'm not suggesting ReactOSchan should become the official mascot. There shouldn't be a mascot because nothing is being sold.
karlexceed

Post by karlexceed »

Apparently Linux's mascot was nearly a fox girl: https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1197227512075411456
[ external image ]
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

Make it a purple alien girl with a bunch of scalp tentacles and eyestalks. Few can figure her out, much like the few here who have figured out a Windows kernel.
munuc

Post by munuc »

PurpleGurl wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:38 am Make it a purple alien girl with a bunch of scalp tentacles and eyestalks. Few can figure her out, much like the few here who have figured out a Windows kernel.
I can't tell if this is brilliant or brilliantly horrifying, if I'm being entirely honest.
Kidplayer_666

Post by Kidplayer_666 »

Do a squirrel, not as funny but much more professional and it shall be capable of atracting a broader audience