help speeding up the OS

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

jeremyk

help speeding up the OS

Post by jeremyk »

Is there any way I can help speed up the os? It seams like it is dog slow. Yes I know it is pre alpha. But it just seams that it is really slow and that it should at lest be usable. unless it is my hardware. it just seams super slow.
ma-games.de

Post by ma-games.de »

You have to compile it with optimize=1. Then, without the debugging code, its about five times faster.
navaraf
Developer

Post by navaraf »

Recently some massive speed improving patches were commited to SVN. Check out SVN / daily builds or wait for 0.3 release.
Gedi

Post by Gedi »

Explorer is currently pretty slow and needs a lot of optimising work. This isn't currently a high priority though.

If you know C++, you could help improve it's performance.
uniQ

Post by uniQ »

navaraf wrote:Recently some massive speed improving patches were commited to SVN. Check out SVN / daily builds or wait for 0.3 release.
Any jucy details?

-uniQ
Coming on, coming up, let me help ROS and I'll be able to look @ a life well used.
jeremyk

Post by jeremyk »

What exploer is ROD using and were do I find the source on the
http://svn.reactos.com/viewcvs/trunk/
site. So I can take a look at it and see if I can help improve the speed or something because I really want to help with this OS but I done have any hardware programming skills yet. But I can make basic windows apps.
Gedi

Post by Gedi »

IIRC, it was originally written by Martin Fuchs as a project and was later converted to C++ and ported into ROS after Wine by Martin.

It is by no means slow, but it's no where near as fast as any of the windows varients (or any Linux desktop) and this shows when I try to run it on a machine like PII 233Mhz where is becomes almost unusable.

You'll find the source here http://svn.reactos.com/viewcvs/trunk/re ... m/explorer
However you'll need more than skills in basic windows apps to optimise it. You could add to it though as a start for the learning curve, it is very much work in progress.