ROS running on real hardware!

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

wolfie

ROS running on real hardware!

Post by wolfie »

i just loaded it onto an older k6-2 400mhz machine i have layin around and it installed rather flawlessly =D did a physical install to the HD and it ran beautifully!
Jaix
Moderator Team

Re: ROS running on real hardware!

Post by Jaix »

wolfie wrote:i just loaded it onto an older k6-2 400mhz machine i have layin around and it installed rather flawlessly =D did a physical install to the HD and it ran beautifully!
Nice!
If you find something strange please let us know. For support go to that forum to ask your questions or just to tell what yuu experience, if you find obvious bugs please file them in the bugzilla http://www.reactos.org/bugzilla If you want to talk to us more in realtime connect to our IRC, here you can find out how:
http://www.reactos.org/wiki/index.php/ReactOS_Chat
wolfie

Post by wolfie »

i'll do that tomarrow, i have it sitting idle to do a burn in test to night to see if it'll stay stable all night
vins

Post by vins »

Ofcourse it runs on real hardware. It runs on my PC since ver. 0.21 :)
Still trying to get network working and a little bit buggy but I've been testing all version on my real PC and every new one is getting better and better.

Version 0.3RC1 does detects my LAN adapter and when I insert my drivers CD - it finds it and installs it automaticaly but then it show a message that the computer must be restarted in other changes to work. I try to click OK but the computer hangs and when I restart "Found New Hardware" appears again and all repeates until I say I don't want to install that driver. I just too lazy right now to put that bug into bugzilla.

I just hope that the finall 0.3 version wont do this :)
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

Power controls have been spotty for quite some time. I've yet to actually get ReactOS to shut down when I tell it to.
wolfie

Post by wolfie »

if you poke logoff it shuts down right on the spot o.o
ThePhysicist
Developer

Post by ThePhysicist »

Yes ROS works fine on my Athlon 900.
But My SiS 900 network card still doesn't work :(
NT4 driver does not want to install, XP/2K driver installs, then tells me reboot is needed. When I hit OK, system Hangs. If I do a reboot I have the nework adapter in the network settings, but it doesn't do anything.
Somebody know how to make the NT4 driver install?
And Total Commander isn't working for me anymore. system hangs after startup screen.
Coviti

Post by Coviti »

ReactOS works on my Celeron 633 system, too. Last time I tried, it had problems with my other computer, which has a SiS Chipset. There have been a lot of bugfixes since then, though, so I'll need to try it again.

It's soooo nice to have a spare computer! 8)
wolfie

Post by wolfie »

i hope that they include some basic drivers for the main hardware vendors for like sound network video and motherboard
vins

Post by vins »

I've changed my LAN card and ReactOS installed it's drivers sussesfully. It also installed my Sound Card but I don't know how to test if sound works. Nvidia drivers are installed too but I see there is a bug report that they don't work. I've tested and they really don't work :)

Oh I installed a SDL based strategy game: Battle of Survival or something like that and it runs fine. Most of my Delphi projects runs well. Can't find a way to install Delphi 4 because the installer has a WIn16 module and Win16 applications are not supported by ReactOS.
uTorrent also works fine.
sling-shot

Network?

Post by sling-shot »

I have tried the LiveCD. It says NETWORK NOT IMPLEMENTED.
What do you mean by utorrent works? Is it that the program loads or it downloads???
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

All of the above talk as been with the installed version, not with the LiveCD. Most of us have the drivers to our respective network cards, which the LiveCD does not, which is how we "implement" our networks. And since the 0.3 RC1 has a lot of work accomplished in the TCP/IP department, the network will actually work providing we get a working driver installed.
vins

Re: Network?

Post by vins »

sling-shot wrote:What do you mean by utorrent works? Is it that the program loads or it downloads???
It runs. I haven't tried downlaoding because I still haven't tried network under ReactOS. My ISP has a very strange DHCP server and when I change OS or lan adapters my net stops for 2-3 hours. However this can be avoided by releasing the IP before shuting down the OS, but my OS - Fedora Core 4 doesn't seems to fully release the IP and so ReactOS can't get the dhcp information because it uses other dhcp client info.

I may try later ... For now I need my internet :)
wolfie

Post by wolfie »

i've been running it for a day or so straight now with no real crashes just hanges when i swap CD's and i have to reboot but otherwise it's rather stable just idling.
Imod

Post by Imod »

ROS works on my P4 1,4GHz, Asrock P4VM800, but I also have a problems with find new hardware:). Build in lan adapter (VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet adapter) doesn't work. I will try with D-link DFE-550TX.