Windows "standard" theme

The place to bring up any design issues, or post your own creations

Moderator: Moderator Team

Viator

Windows "standard" theme

Post by Viator »

I just saw the new windows "standard" theme for vista http://blogs.technet.com/windowsvista/a ... 40510.aspx
what do you think? is it a good fit for reactos?
Elledan

Post by Elledan »

I think it's ugly. A different ugly than the default WinXP theme, but nonetheless ugly (the seagreen makes me feel nauseous).

My favourite GUI will remain Win2k's in that it's clean, efficient and isn't distracting.

Vista's GUI is quite clean (not too much clutter on the top section of windows, for example), but it's not efficient because of the same hideous start menu I have come to loathe in WinXP. Main part where it fails is that it's very distracting.

While working in Win9x, Win2k and WinXP with the 'classic' theme enabled, one is most of the time completely oblivious of how the GUI looks, allowing one to focus on the apps themselves instead of the window around them.

Vista's themes add more gradients, shiny buttons and no doubt all kinds of fancy effects while resizing, minimizing, etc. While these serve nicely as eyecandy, they nonetheless impede productivity.

Ergo, if you want eyecandy, there are other GUIs (themes) which better serve this purpose (look at Linux WM themes, for example). If it's efficiency you want, look no (or not much) further than Win2k.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Viator: Not now. ReactOS needs to be more stable before any Design changes will be discussed. This Design Forum ist not very usefull yet.
TOTMS

Post by TOTMS »

Elledan wrote:I think it's ugly. A different ugly than the default WinXP theme, but nonetheless ugly (the seagreen makes me feel nauseous).

My favourite GUI will remain Win2k's in that it's clean, efficient and isn't distracting.
Yeah, I am really not too keen. Looks very over processed, now 2k was a good clean theme.
MadWolf

Post by MadWolf »

hi

what do you think? hmmm where to start ??

ok i am 19 not 5 give me my file edit tools help buttons you can keep the favorites button i now you can turn them back on but it annoying having to turn them on

2 do not nowe which one but it broke my ide cable or the hd

3it looks like a toy

4 i am not 3+
geertvdijk

Post by geertvdijk »

i like the new look, though its not usefull for ROS as ROS is not focussing on design right now, and if you directly copynpaste it you might get facked as well...
-graey-
Wierd

Post by Wierd »

I wonder... I have heard that the Vista desktop uses 3D hardware capabilities to generate it's windows... Does this mean that eventually windows Vista is going to produce true reflection mapped windows?

DAMN that would be distracting--- Move your mouse over the window, and watch it have a shiny, distorted mirror image underneath your pointer, and see the windows around the active one all reflected in it. BLACH---

Microsoft, and their ENDLESS descent into "Workplace Entertainment" eyecandy in the GUI... ... oh it makes me unhappy.
Floyd

Post by Floyd »

i don't like the huge banners at the top and bottom of vista explorer's windows. it looks dorky. and it takes away screen real estate. altho, i do like vista's color and icon schemes.

if we do special effects in our UI i think we would do well to mimic the effects of either XGL or mac OSX.

tho translucency/glass would be nice. i'd rather have the wiggling windows. glass would get too cluttered with many windows open. also, the "aero" effect of the 3/4 view of panes to roll through them just seems ... ineffective.

i've been running the vista beta, and beta 2s at work and like it and hate it at the same time -- mainly in the areas i mentioned above. the faculty and staff have already decided to delay going to it because altho most of them think it's pretty, most are highly annoyed how explorer has turned out. (plus the system requirements are retarded, especially when you consider that it'll be set to look like 2000 and they're gutting OpenGL (which is what they emphasize)

using XGL on my workstation, and testing vista, and my coworker has his macs, we get a fairly good variety of what's out there on a daily basis, and it's interesting how each system has their good pionts and bad. mac does their windowing well (so does gnome and windows -- save for those huge bars), the mac genie effect is ok, but gets old fast, but the "wiggliness" and customizability of XGL is sweet. a limited or amalgamated glass would be cool (translucent window or just titlebar).

XGL is pretty cool, actually. wow that was really without direction. (tired and late -- sorry)
pax mei amici amorque et Iesus sacret omnia
etko

Post by etko »

Yes, XGL is amazing piece of software. I was blown away by it, it's really fast, awesome, beats Vista's cheap tricks to ground.
shevegen

Post by shevegen »

Microsoft, and their ENDLESS descent into "Workplace Entertainment" eyecandy in the GUI... ... oh it makes me unhappy.
Given the up-and-coming games, which are - at least some - quite amazing, I think MS wants to position themselves as a gaming platform, much more than they did before. And since the Mac's are seemingly becoming a real alternative to the "Palladium" Customer Lock-in of MS, I think from a MS point of view its good to offer more and more eye candy. (Even though too much candy makes the kid sick...)
Matthias

Post by Matthias »

shevegen wrote:"Palladium" Customer Lock-in
Since you don't even know that Palladium was renamed to NGSCB a looong time ago you probably also don't know what it's all about (and that nothing much is left of it by now...)
Wierd

Post by Wierd »

I knew. It is one of the reasons I am quite interested in ReactOS.

Trusted Computing scares me.
kamillys

Post by kamillys »

Themes in ReactOS should be compatible with themes in Windows XP. For example, theme XYZ originally designed for XP should run whitout any modifications in ROS. And themes for ROS should work in Windows XP.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

They will be. Once theming is actually supported.
GreyGhost

Post by GreyGhost »

kamillys wrote:Themes in ReactOS should be compatible with themes in Windows XP. For example, theme XYZ originally designed for XP should run whitout any modifications in ROS. And themes for ROS should work in Windows XP.
Yes thats what is going to happen in the future once themeing support in the ROS Explorer is complete and uxtheme.dll is done .....
Regards GreyGhost