The ReactOS Windows Explorer Clone is ...

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

How Would you rate ReactOS Explorer??

ITS GREAT! I even installed it in my Windows box!
9%
Its good enough....
10%
Meh. Needs some work, but i can live with it for now
43%
Its Bad.. but atleast its something
25%
I prefer using the command prompt!
12%

Total votes: 67

samwise52

The ReactOS Windows Explorer Clone is ...

Post by samwise52 »

In my Opinion its really bad... but maybe what i think isnt very important. Lets hear your Opinions! heck winefile isnt as bad (if you like win 3.11 that is)
Last edited by samwise52 on Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Can you picture what could be? So limitless and free.. in need of your help ReactOS 0.4
EDIJS

Post by EDIJS »

It could be bettter :P
wonder cow

Post by wonder cow »

From what I can see it is not fully implemented as of yet. Kind of tough to judge it as "sucking" when it's not done yet.
"I'll rob him of his gold and give it to some poor unworthy slob." - Daffy as Robin Hood
forart

Post by forart »

SharpE
:roll:

In my opinion it would be better if someone will "port" (transcode from Delphi to C/C++) it instead of wasting time to develop a windows-like GUI.
This will help both projects... 8)

Anyway check out my open source shell list too. :wink:
»Forward Agency NPO
In progress we (always) trust.
frik85
Developer

Post by frik85 »

The ReactOS explorer is NOT terrible but not optimal.

Currently it has 3 different views, one view to much in my opinion.
The winefile "view" which is still in explorer too (when you click on a "drive button" need to be skipped in future.
Some UI improvements wouldn't hurt, but the explorer as the shell itself great. It does work fine in WinXP, in ReactOS only the shell32.dll is the breaking point. This lib need improvements and some missing functions added.

In ReactOS 0.3.1 or 0.3.2, the SoC Clipboard project will be added.
From this point on, ReactOS will be usable for every day work! Printing, clipboard, opengl, sdl, openoffice (will work again), advanced media players, etc. :D
Headstrong

Post by Headstrong »

sorry, but I have had a quick look around and I cant find the version explorer that you have written from scratch that is SO much better.

I think this subject has been discussed before.
Mrkaras

Post by Mrkaras »

I were initialy thinking it was pritty bad but I realised it is the shell as well as the file browser, I don't see any problem with the shell (not properly finished but not bad) and it is only the actual file browser part that is ugly and badly functioning.

Next time I start having problems with the windows shell maby I will replace it with reactos's one.
bierleiche

Post by bierleiche »

At least you can download files with it...firefox hangs while trying to access ftp-servers. :shock:

I think when it is finished it will do!
But PLEASE rename it in WHATEVER...RULER, WATCHER or some new unique name but EXPLORER always lets me think about the horrible internet exploiter of Redmond [ external image ]
hefner

Post by hefner »

eh if you dont know it, the windows-like naming of the system files is an important part of the overall-compatibilty....

btw. in the actual rc3 - version , the explorer is much better than an half year before..
Ged
Developer

Re: The ReactOS Windows Explorer Clone is ......!!

Post by Ged »

samwise52 wrote:In my Opinion it sucks... but maybe what i think isnt very important. Lets hear your Opinions! heck winefile isnt as bad (if you like win 3.11 that is)
I find your comments quite rude.

Instead of attacking it, why not help to, or suggest ways to improve it.
samwise52

Post by samwise52 »

Im sorry i didnt mean to ofend. I just was trying to stir up public opinion for needed explorer improvements :D

Im certain that if you use reactos explorer in windows (copy explorer.exe and notifyhook.dll, kill windows explorer and run ros's explorer.exe) you will undestand perhaps some of my opinion about it
Can you picture what could be? So limitless and free.. in need of your help ReactOS 0.4
Ged
Developer

Post by Ged »

samwise52 wrote:I just was trying to stir up public opinion for needed explorer improvements :D
I agree it needs a lot of work.
I had started to work on it, but it got put on hold.

For version 0.3 though, I think it's more than adequate, esspecially once copy/paste is implemented.

I'd like to get back onto explorer someday.
Jaix
Moderator Team

Clipboard + drag n' drop

Post by Jaix »

Well I have been using ROS Explorer in w2k for a long time because of a windows problem making explorer hang. I don't think it's as good as the MS dito, but it works well for most stuff. What I miss most in ROS is the clipboard and drag n' drop and that's not the explorer's fault.. I would like to have a closer replica of the windows explorer but it works well for most things.
When ROS explorer is't enough I use TotalCommander as it works well while we miss clipboard and network.
Meklort

Post by Meklort »

I have setup windows 2003 to boot off of the network (minimaly). Becasue it is striped down and is missing a very larg part of the registry, windows explorer does not work. I replaced it with reactos explorer and it runs rather nicely.
StopTCPA

Explo******

Post by StopTCPA »

But PLEASE rename it in WHATEVER...RULER, WATCHER or some new unique name but EXPLORER always lets me think about the horrible internet exploiter of Redmond
Agree. Prefer 2-panel managers like TotalCommander, FreeCommander,
7-ZIP FM - option missing in the vote.