Keep up the good work!

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

jkxx

Keep up the good work!

Post by jkxx »

Hi all,

I just got into ReactOS seriously [or rather its source code] today, but have dabbled with it before. :D

Just wanted to say, keep up the good work, this is a great project with great potential! - and I'll try to educate myself enough to help it as much as I can too on the side..

And honestly, this is the smallest OS I have ever seen that can run the win32 port of firefox successfully with so few problems.
ThePhysicist
Developer

Post by ThePhysicist »

And you haven't probably tried ROS_LEAN_AND_MEAN...
It's even smaller (all unneccessary symbols etc. stripped away)
jkxx

Heh

Post by jkxx »

The default build is already very agile by my standards. ROS really is an energizer bunny compared to MS's snail-like approach to convoluting everything endlessy. Though I'll take a look at that too, once I get a bit more familiar with the code.

I know linux can accomplish some amazing things with a relatively small binary base, but I'd never seen anything quite like ReactOS before. Shows what MS's code would look like if they actually cared about efficiency or speed (or what ROS is already doing a lot better). Either way (though this is kind of far off in the future) it gives me great expectations about ROS's performance in video games and similiar apps, given the fact that it doesn't have to go through gazillions of mutli-megabyte DLLs just to draw a primitive..
mvent2

Post by mvent2 »

I would also like to extend my sincere gratitude to the ReactOS developers. The difference between ReactOS and Windows is not only the open-source nature but also the motives of the projects. While Microsoft is busy integrating a browser to win the browser wars, integrating a crappy movie maker to push their WMV format, injecting DRM protection in the Vista kernel and pushing Windows Genuine Annoyance, the ReactOS developers are making Windows done right.

If only I knew C and kernel hacking, I could help somewhat. Right now I'm just useless to the project... :lol:
Tachikoma_Pilot

Post by Tachikoma_Pilot »

ROS FTW !!!!!!!
dreams

Post by dreams »

We love ROS :wink:

btw totally agree with mvent2's post
Nuno Brito

Post by Nuno Brito »

ThePhysicist wrote:And you haven't probably tried ROS_LEAN_AND_MEAN...
Where can we download this version?

I also agree that ROS is really growing to become a #1 OS.. :D
Tachikoma_Pilot

Post by Tachikoma_Pilot »

Free + Windows Compatible is a good combination, cant wait for the beta and final
elektrik

Post by elektrik »

ThePhysicist wrote:And you haven't probably tried ROS_LEAN_AND_MEAN...
stripped symbols!!! SHHH!!! Are you trying to scare him away??!!! :lol:
walter

Post by walter »

even smaller?????? :shock: if it's not a joke that's great!!!

i can't wait for next versions too!!!
Wierd

Post by Wierd »

walter wrote:even smaller?????? :shock: if it's not a joke that's great!!!

i can't wait for next versions too!!!

Lean and Mean is a compile time argument.

IIRC, it's memory requirements are substantially smaller. I recall (some time ago anyway) Alex Ionescu commenting on the mailing lists that he had gotten ROS running (**In BLUE.SYS console only**) on under 4mb of RAM using Lean and Mean.

I too eagerly await ROS reaching at least BETA status, as that is when the fun will REALLY begin.

(when ROS reaches STABLE, the party will have allready started, so to speak)
Thcrw8383

Post by Thcrw8383 »

ReactOS 0.3.1 rill be released soon,I CANT! wait!!!!! Its getting better and better,When React reaches 0.5 series,ill use it as my primary OS,Keep going Developers,your making good progress :lol:
Nuno Brito

Post by Nuno Brito »

It's already looking good.. 8)