state of networking in ROS

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

BrandonTurner
Developer

state of networking in ROS

Post by BrandonTurner »

i looked around the website but i dont know how updated the info i got way. it sounds like if you have a standalone instal(not running in vm or anything) you can get a connection if you have a static ip but not if you pull from a dhcp. is this still true? to do this though you have to install a driver for your card which means you need to get the registry changes from a windows nt system and do them yourself, correct? and it also sounds like they are finishing/redoing the winsock code sometime soon maybe the next release. once they do that will it provide much better networking support, or will it still be at the same point pretty much?

just trying to make sure i got updated info.

thanks
GvG

Re: state of networking in ROS

Post by GvG »

BrandonTurner wrote:i looked around the website but i dont know how updated the info i got way. it sounds like if you have a standalone instal(not running in vm or anything) you can get a connection if you have a static ip but not if you pull from a dhcp. is this still true?
Yes
BrandonTurner wrote:to do this though you have to install a driver for your card which means you need to get the registry changes from a windows nt system and do them yourself, correct?
Yes
BrandonTurner wrote:and it also sounds like they are finishing/redoing the winsock code sometime soon maybe the next release.
Yes
BrandonTurner wrote:once they do that will it provide much better networking support, or will it still be at the same point pretty much?
Don't think DHCP support will make it into the next release and I'm pretty sure that network card installer support won't make it either. It will be some time before those are implemented.
Jaix
Moderator Team

Step by step HowTo

Post by Jaix »

GvG wrote:
Don't think DHCP support will make it into the next release and I'm pretty sure that network card installer support won't make it either. It will be some time before those are implemented.
Wouldn't it be good if someone made a good step by step HowTo for getting TCP-IP working?

I guess QEMU and VMWare is pretty easy because no hardware does have to be different between different users, right? The different might be on the OS side of the host, I saw there is a HowTo for Linux in the wiki page, but no one for Windows.
Actually these two solutions could be ready in the ISO distribution wouldn't they?

Then the tricky one - real hardware. It would be totally nice to have a HowTo for different hardware (the most common).
BrandonTurner
Developer

Post by BrandonTurner »

for the installing a driver part. has that much changed since nt with the registry that you have to have to have nt or will windows 2000/xp work too? anyone know?
A-v-S
Location: BAEK CITY (Beek, Limburg, The Netherlands, Europe, Earth)

Post by A-v-S »

Windows 2000/xp uses NDIS 5 drivers
Windows NT 4.0 uses NDIS 4 drivers

so i think it wil not work if you just copy it.
but if you have the driver, i think it can.

example of files on install disk
if dm9pci5.sys is used in windows 2000/xp, then you use the dm9pci4.sys for ROS

( i think so, correct me if i am wrong, not tested it yet ...)

another question, do i have to search for the adapter name and copy all that reg entries os are there specific entries i have to look for ?
"you laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same"

http://www.il.fontys.nl/~andre
BrandonTurner
Developer

Post by BrandonTurner »

from what i can tell. based soley on what i have read you need to export your whole registry before you install and after. then you find the differences between the two .reg files(there is programs to do this, or you can do it yourself) and then from there you have to make all the same changes in ros.