Freeldr Boot Floppy

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

solemnwarning

Freeldr Boot Floppy

Post by solemnwarning »

Is There A Boot Floppy That Can Be Just Put Into The Machine With A Cpoy Of Freeldr On It Then The Freeldr On The Disk Starts ReactOS, Is There Such Disk? Cos Freeldr Is Screwed Up
uniQ

Post by uniQ »

When installing ReactOS, select "Write the bootloader to a floppy disk" when asked (Right after the file copy process).

-uniQ
Coming on, coming up, let me help ROS and I'll be able to look @ a life well used.
solemnwarning

Post by solemnwarning »

Whenever I Try Writing Bootloader To Floppy It Keeps Saying There Is No Disk In Drive A: <_< So Is There A Freeldr Floppy Image I Can Dl?
HUMA2000

Post by HUMA2000 »

There is a bug on floppy.sys drivers that make it not working, I told it sometime ago on the irc...
packetvb

Post by packetvb »

solemnwarning

I had the same problem after the initial one of ReactOs refusing to format the partition in FAT and corrupting the MBR.
Should have known better. No biggy though.
Anyway
http://www.reactos.com/en/content/view/full/1090
has links to the freeloader image you can write to floppy. I used is successfully with the latest release.

packetvb
A-v-S
Location: BAEK CITY (Beek, Limburg, The Netherlands, Europe, Earth)

Post by A-v-S »

Is that also why i can't use floppies with ROS, or is it that SIS chipset.
Or does it have to do with bootable cd that a: is the bootimage of the cd?
"you laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same"

http://www.il.fontys.nl/~andre
Gasmann

Post by Gasmann »

A-v-S wrote:Is that also why i can't use floppies with ROS, or is it that SIS chipset.
Or does it have to do with bootable cd that a: is the bootimage of the cd?
The bootimage is no floppy emulation, and under ReactOS it's not working for me, too.
HUMA2000 wrote:Is a bug on the floppy.sys driver, it doesn't work, at least for me on all the test i've done.
So floppy.sys is the fault.
HUMA2000

Post by HUMA2000 »

Is what i think...
booter

Post by booter »

This doesn't work on my machine. Please put in floppy...etc etc. No matter what. What good is an OS that doesn't boot? I have lilo and actually switched to grub as a friend recomended, so that I could boot reactos... but it ends up dying on me.

gives junk characters and dies.

any recomendations, since the floppy doesn't work?

Thanks
Monty
Mrkaras

Post by Mrkaras »

There is a bug on floppy.sys drivers that make it not working, I told it sometime ago on the irc...
did you also add a bugzilla listing?

would an older version of floppy.sys work around this, or is there a way to setup freeldr on a floppy without using the installer?

any plans to make reactos install on disks other than primary master (and put the boot sector there) any time soon?
ThePhysicist
Developer

Post by ThePhysicist »

I also have that problem that ROS setup does not find my floppy. Just try several times. It might take some minutes then it works. But make sure to wait until the floppy is no more working, because ROS setup says everythings is ready and press a key to reboot, BEFORE the floppy is ready.
Jaix
Moderator Team

I run the floppy alternative...

Post by Jaix »

Since my dual installation doesn't boot Freeloader from HD anymore I use the floppy alternative, and it works well for me. Just a bit unprofessional not being able to boot from just HD.
Viator

Post by Viator »

Ive had the same problem in the past.. I havent tried reactos on real harware in a long while so MAYBE its fixed. But i doubt it they are working hard to get the core of the os working decently so i think the installer /boot manager is att eh very bottom of their list. But lets not forget WHO will try ROS if you cant install it easily and after its installed wont boot.