im offering my services

All development related issues welcome

Moderator: Moderator Team

tarek

im offering my services

Post by tarek »

hey
im new here, and i really like ReactOS it will make Microsoft vanish, that what i hope.ive told all my friends about ReactOS and they all tried it and they found it sweet and easy to use.

i was wondering, im a good VB 6.0 coder i think i can make some programs like a Firewall, Internet Browser and stuff like that to add to the ReactOS Install and Live CD. if u want my services just tell me and i will start working right away :roll:

thx again for that Great OS
geertvdijk

Post by geertvdijk »

First of all, welcome here! ReactOS should indeed make microsoft vanish, and please, spread the word more :)
Second of all, currently VB programs are not accepted 'directly' into the ReactOS SVN, but if you make quality software, it can be added to the list that will be downloadable through the ReactOS package manager.
Or, you can digg into c/c++ which are accepted into SVN (if the quality is good enough).
Either way, welcome, and keep that spirit ;).
-graey-
Apal

Post by Apal »

tarek I think that the best way to contribute to project is to learn C/C++ ;)
There is already a browser and some other apps all in C/C++, so the main programming direction is these langs.
Yes they are more difficult than VB 6 , I know, but faster ;)
Radhad

Post by Radhad »

Only the Eplorer is written in C++, but they want software written in C. there was a long discussion about comiling C and C++ code, where C++ code needs longer to get compiled, so they prefer C code.
zyneo

Offer My Service

Post by zyneo »

I also offer my service. I'm a good VC6 programmer with good knowledge about windows API internals, Window System, GDI and GUI programming and much more.
But I don't have enough time to explore the model of ReactOS, is there anyway to contribute? something like someone in project wants a function or whole program with clear input and output, so I can do something here? Or somewhere that I can start as fast as possible?

Thanks for you good try.
frik85
Developer

Re: Offer My Service

Post by frik85 »

zyneo wrote:I also offer my service. I'm a good VC6 programmer with good knowledge about windows API internals, Window System, GDI and GUI programming and much more.
But I don't have enough time to explore the model of ReactOS, is there anyway to contribute? something like someone in project wants a function or whole program with clear input and output, so I can do something here? Or somewhere that I can start as fast as possible?
List of all ReactOS applications (svn "base" dir):
http://svn.reactos.org/svn/reactos/trunk/reactos/base/

Please subscribe to the ReactOS developer mailing list:
http://www.reactos.org/en/community_mailinglists.html

... and join the ReactOS irc channel:
http://www.reactos.org/en/community_irc.html

ReactOS roadmap:
http://www.reactos.org/en/about_roadmap.html
tarek

Post by tarek »

ok
i will try to learn C or C++ in a short time
i will do my best
Nmn

Post by Nmn »

Just to make note. C is a huge bitch compared to VB.

Second, i HATE basic, so C will probably be even harder for you. However, i STILL HIGHLY recommend using C, for me its rewarding to know that I'm using a high quality, fast, optimized, and very hard to use language to do your work. GCC may not be the most optimized compiler, but i do know that it does the job quite fast and i know C compiles and runs quite fast with GCC.

Also, try to jump into the Windows API more than anything. My fractured development process may be bad, but i can still use the Windows API and i'm glad.

Of course, i haven't been able to contribute to React OS, I've been trying to make some time to develop, but i have to do much simpler things than i planned with the time i have available.

Good luck.
GreatLord
Developer

Post by GreatLord »

Nmn
fo not talk shit of gcc
Gcc can optimze code very well and good equal good as ms vs

here is some fact
1. gcc output diffent asm code with diffent optimze, u need to learn how to use gcc to gain best optimze.

2. each cpu req diffent optimzing to gain maxium speed.
here people fight about smaller code size or not
it is true in some case that smaller code is faster on modern cpu
it is not whole true. lets take a for loop doig like this
for (t=0;t<10;t+=2)
{
x= 10 * 5 + t;
y = x - t * t;
}
samller asm code of this will cause a slower code
if gcc optimze out 10*5 from the for loop the code will be
slight biger, but it will be faster code. for mul take alot cpu
cycles and u will gcc remove y = x - t * t ; to some faster code as
well it will grow bit in size but u will gain allot of speed.

it exists allot more to say about it.

tarek

you are wellcome do what u whant, but we do not accpect vb code at all.
only thing we accpect is C for new program and functions.
asm for optimze and some part that really need asm.
C++ we accpect but u need motivate why then we review if we accpect
it or not.
Jaix
Moderator Team

Re: Offer My Service

Post by Jaix »

zyneo wrote:I also offer my service. I'm a good VC6 programmer with good knowledge about windows API internals, Window System, GDI and GUI programming and much more.

Thanks for you good try.
There is heaps of studff to help us with, to get some ideas I would recommend you to go to our chat and talk to our devs in realtime.
http://www.reactos.org/wiki/index.php/ReactOS_Chat