When will you start to use ReactOS for something else than d

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

When will you start to use ReactOS for something else than developing the ROS itself?

I already use ReactOS
8%
This year (2005)
33%
Next year (2006)
41%
Not before 1.0 Release
18%
ReactOS sucks, I will never use it
No votes

Total votes: 66

Sami

When will you start to use ReactOS for something else than d

Post by Sami »

The reason of this poll is to find out when people think that ReactOS can
be used for something else than testing and coding the ReactOS itself.

I know that ReactOS is still under develope and you cant actually do
much with it. However there may be people who does not require the
full compatibility with all the Windows programs before they can use
ReactOS.

- Sami
e7

Post by e7 »

I think at the end of 2005/beginning of 2006 it's easy to get the nVidia-driver running and I can use software like apache/php/mysql, firefox etc... Software like VirtualDub need's the AVIFile.dll so we must wait longer ;-(
ma-games.de

Post by ma-games.de »

I voted for 2006 but I guess it may take two years longer. But I wont't wait until the 1.0 release, because open source software mostly could be used much earlier....
Headstrong

Post by Headstrong »

i voted for 2006.

all i need from reactos is a browser and office suite (anything extra is a bonus).
100% windows compatibility is not totally needed for what i want to do with it.

mind you, once networking is stable, there will be loads more people reporting bugs and trying other software. i think that this will speed things up even more (or just make the todo lists longer!) has long has the devs are ready for the influx and the bug reports are good all should go ok.
ma-games.de

Post by ma-games.de »

John Headstrong wrote:all i need from reactos is a browser and office suite (anything extra is a bonus).
I could agree with you. ReactOS is useable than. Not as main OS but on an older computer maybe for my sister or so.
Headstrong

Post by Headstrong »

ma-games.de wrote:Not as main OS but on an older computer maybe for my sister or so.
that is exactlly what I want it for, older computers. I teach basic IT skills and I want to give away a recycled computer with the training.

Microsoft will not let you do that.
AcetoliNe

Post by AcetoliNe »

I voted for 2006 but I believe that it will probably even be sooner.
I'm going to be buying a new computer within about a month, and I think I'm going to dual boot ros with windows and then slowly convert completely to ros over time. I can't wait until the blessed day that I can finally delete windows!!!!

Windows deleted!!
(C)heer (P)arty (D)ance?
caveman LIKES chocolate.
we shall reinvent the wheel until it turns properly.
somebody

Post by somebody »

John Headstrong wrote:i voted for 2006.

all i need from reactos is a browser and office suite (anything extra is a bonus).
For there you can use any distributive of Linux.

As for me, I mast run spesial programms writen for business, which was writen for Win32(Borland Delphi). For this ROS must can: printing, connect with Database server (throuth ODBC, Informix), user authefication, difference user right on computer system (fs).
PS. sorry my bad english.
BrandonTurner
Developer

Re: When will you start to use ReactOS for something else th

Post by BrandonTurner »

probably once i am able to install it and use the network drivers without having to do a bunch of stuff manually, or once i find the time to figure out how to do it manually. as long as i can get online to websites then i will start using as much as i use normal windows.
Dr. Fred
Developer

Post by Dr. Fred »

Who is the guy that voted for "I already use ReactOS" ? What does do with it ?
Where do you want ReactOS to go today ?
Headstrong

Post by Headstrong »

somebody wrote:For there you can use any distributive of Linux.

PS. sorry my bad english.
all of my training materials are windows based, and other computers they will come across will be windows machines, linux is not ideal for non computer users, for a start not everyone knows how to fix linux, and some users will what to install programs that they are used too.

retraining users to use linux is not a option, nor is redoing all the training materials (booklets etc).

BTW your english is better than my french, german, spainish, polish etc :lol:
Gasmann

Post by Gasmann »

Dr. Fred wrote:Who is the guy that voted for "I already use ReactOS" ? What does do with it ?
I voted for it for example. I play games in it (like minnnigolf and solitaire 8) ) and already wrote some texts in abiword or edited some files, e.g. the freeldr.ini inside ReactOS. It's a bit dangerous, because it can crash anytime, but I can 'work' with it 8)

If I would get my Realtek NIC's working in ReactOS and had an working pppoe driver than I would write into this forum from reactos :)
Gedi

Post by Gedi »

The latest SVN is already usable in many respects. It all depends on what your definition of usable is.

The network model is now in place and although there are a few bits missing and a few bugs, you can surf the net, grab email and chat in IRC.
ROS even has it's own built in web browser now (ibrowser), with firefox not too far away.

As for word processing, Abiword runs well and OOO is planned in the near future.

As soon as the network model is a little more stable, along with the operating system itself, I intend to use it for basic tasks where I can. Somewhere between 0.3 and 0.4 (hopefully before Christmas)
A-v-S
Location: BAEK CITY (Beek, Limburg, The Netherlands, Europe, Earth)

Post by A-v-S »

I voted 2006.
I think a year ... there can be much done in a year.
what i need before i will use it as main os:
Firefox, Thunderbird
IM program (MSN MESSENGER or aMSN)
OpenOffice.org
Shareaza
Winamp
and my drivers working

(edit: thunderbird added)
Last edited by A-v-S on Fri Jan 28, 2005 12:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
"you laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same"

http://www.il.fontys.nl/~andre
anarcap

Post by anarcap »

I voted for this year.

I have some specific uses in mind for ROS, and as long as there is an email client, a full-feature browser (that supports most of the latest standards), and some office/productivity software I'll be a very happy camper (and as people said above, we're almost there :D ).

I'd be using it already, but I need to free up a machine to install it onto.