Does not install/run in VirtualBox?

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

johann_p

Does not install/run in VirtualBox?

Post by johann_p »

VirtualBox (http://www.virtualbox.org/) is a virtualizer software similar to vmware and I works fine here to install other operating systems (I am running it under Ubuntu Feisty).

However, when I try to install ReactOS under it, I get the blue installation screen just for a second, then the installation aborts with a fully black screen. No error message can be seen.

Is this is known bug? Did anyone manage to install ReactOS in the VirtualBox?
GreatLord
Developer

Post by GreatLord »

Hi
I will never tuch vbox again. it did crash my windows
compelete after I mangers getting windows working again vbox refuse run any os.

vbox are not supported by us, it is not wort the name.

That is my private thinking of it.

emulator I run
paraells, vmware, qemu

I recomdate using vmware or qemu
johann_p

Post by johann_p »

GreatLord wrote:Hi
I will never tuch vbox again. it did crash my windows
compelete after I mangers getting windows working again vbox refuse run any os.

vbox are not supported by us, it is not wort the name.

That is my private thinking of it.

emulator I run
paraells, vmware, qemu

I recomdate using vmware or qemu
Well interesting that you share your opinion. I never had a problem with vbox and I like to use it. So if ReactOS officially does not run on it, I will not bother trying any longer. Can somebody confirm this?
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

ReactOS does not work on virtualbox but we do not know why. VB has certain things based off of QEMU, but whatever changes they made rendered it incompatible with ROS, considering QEMU's been the most successful emulator when it comes to running ROS. And considering ROS is alpha quality and the point releases are more for the purposes of testing and demonstrations, I'm not entirely surprised it breaks on certain things. We know it doesn't work on VPC and we know it doesn't work on Virtual Box. We can't support every platform simply because of the incomplete kernel. Until we get to the beta stage, there's not much we can do.
johann_p

Post by johann_p »

Z98 wrote:ReactOS does not work on virtualbox but we do not know why. VB has certain things based off of QEMU, but whatever changes they made rendered it incompatible with ROS, considering QEMU's been the most successful emulator when it comes to running ROS. And considering ROS is alpha quality and the point releases are more for the purposes of testing and demonstrations, I'm not entirely surprised it breaks on certain things. We know it doesn't work on VPC and we know it doesn't work on Virtual Box. We can't support every platform simply because of the incomplete kernel. Until we get to the beta stage, there's not much we can do.
Thank you for making this clear!
manhunt

Post by manhunt »

Hi

I have already managed to install it (Version 0.2?) but this is a long time ago. My impression was that the Bug depents on the bluescreen.sys or a step behind. I think the solve was the safe mode.... When I\'m back from Argentina I will test the new reales but now i could only surf with 64kbit in a internet cafe............

so back soon....(in 2.5 months :-)

Oh and GreatLord you should change your mind because Virtual BOx is an opensource project and one opensource project should support another and not only closed scoure projects. (thats the reason why ReactOS exists!)

mfg manhunt
Imod

Post by Imod »

I have the very same problem, but with real hardware: CPU - INTEL Celeron 2,53; MB - ASROCK P4VM800, GC - NVIDIA GF6200; HDD - QUANTUM FIREBALL ST; DVD-ROM - SONY DDU1621; ReactOS 0.3.1
Screen resolution is 720x480, I can't change it. Maybe this is a problem, but i don't think.

P.S. With QEMU ReactOS 0.3.1 work fine
mattflaschen

QEMU is libre/open source

Post by mattflaschen »

manhunt wrote: Oh and GreatLord you should change your mind because Virtual BOx is an opensource project and one opensource project should support another and not only closed scoure projects. (thats the reason why ReactOS exists!)
I can verify that it works on qemu, which is libre/open source (as long as you steer clear of the optional proprietary software).
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

Not a matter of our opinions. We're just not going to hack ROS so that it'll run on some specific platform. For that matter, I don't know why it won't run, so the point is kind of mot right now.
GreatLord
Developer

Post by GreatLord »

mattflaschen

I do not change my mind of VirtualBox

I am using allot free software and open source software.
some program are crap and some is not.
What I seen and experns from VirtualBox it will never tuch any of my computer again.
mattflaschen

VirtualBox

Post by mattflaschen »

I didn't say to use VirtualBox (I've never tried it). I just said that ReactOS worked well on qemu (which is free/open source) for me.
abma

Post by abma »

the current svn-version (under gentoo/amd64, r2243) of virtualbox allows reactos to run. Installer works and ReactOS runs really unstable, but it boots to gui :)

livecd works too (unstable!!!) to, but hey, thats an improvement, because it boots to gui :)