partition signatur != 55AA

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

Horcrux7

Post by Horcrux7 »

I want to install ReactOS in a VMWare Server. I have mount the nightly build iso image as CD ROM. Then I Enter all step of the first phase of Setup. On booting I see a black screen with the error message "partition signatur != 55AA". Is this a bug or is it impossible to install ReactOS on the way. This is my first setup of ReactOS.

Volker
Horcrux7

Post by Horcrux7 »

I have download and install the 0.30 now and it work. It seems a bug in the nightly build.

Volker
frik85
Developer

Post by frik85 »

It's a known bug.
To work around it, after you got the error, just restart the computer and run the setup a second time, this time it "just" work.
Its a problem with the partition code.
Sirmatto

Post by Sirmatto »

With Vmware Player, when I get that error, I press "esc" just after boot, when it mentions it on the bottom of the screen, and select CD-ROM from the menu.
Horcrux7

Post by Horcrux7 »

Thanks for the tip with the ESC and the second setup. After the booting I see the copyright screen with the ReactOS logo now. Then the screen is cleared from left to right with blue color. This was all. I see a empty blue screen.

Is this also a known bug?
Sirmatto

Post by Sirmatto »

Yes, this is a pretty recent bug in the SVN.
Horcrux7

Post by Horcrux7 »

If this a known problem that the setup is not running. Is there any way how I can test the current SVN version.

Volker
ubion

Use Windows98!

Post by ubion »

An easy way to avoid the nonsense with the first 2 errors is to boot a new virtual machine from CD with Win98.

Make a partition with, say, 2 GigaByte.

Make it dynamic. Do NOT allocate the space immediately and do NOT make separate files of 2GB max. This method make small files for a start and avoids what I consider a possible cause of problems.

Format the partition win FAT32.,

This virtual machine is your copy original. It gives you a PC with a partitioned and formatted HDD.

Put a copy of that original machine into a separate directory and install ReactOS there.
Horcrux7

Post by Horcrux7 »

Thanks for the reply. In the meantime the bug is fixed in trunk. I think also that the first tip is simpler. It does not need Win98 or any other requirements. Only a second boot.
blasterman

Post by blasterman »

If anyone needs it, here's a little explanation on the 55AA. 0x55AA is the last two bytes in the FAT, I believe, that is a flag that says that it is a bootable partition. "Partition signature != 55AA" means that the bootable flag isn't set.

Am I right?
mirchifan3001

hi

Post by mirchifan3001 »

For everything about computer guidance visit : http://www.webmirchi.com : A Hot Website