Title Bar design

The place to bring up any design issues, or post your own creations

Moderator: Moderator Team

kevintrooper

Title Bar design

Post by kevintrooper »

hi i dont care anymore! the designs at the other pages r much better
Last edited by kevintrooper on Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

These kinds of designs are not at the moment needed, nor would using them be fully supported code wise. What would help is if you tried making a consistent icon scheme. The ones we currently have look terrible. TheCoreh did some initial work and showed them on this thread: http://www.reactos.org/forum/viewtopic. ... 59&start=0

Use his work as a basis/inspiration and see what you come up with.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

kevintrooper. Nothing against your work, but without skin support this would not help much. The GUI needs a some rewrite, before we can use skins. Icons would be of more use, as Z98 said.
Meklort

Re: Title Bar design

Post by Meklort »

kevintrooper wrote:[ external image ]
Is there any reason why that looks exactly like my firefox window does currently (using kde's default plastik theme)?

If you do wish to make a theme, you can always make one for windows xp. I believe that ros will be able to use xp themes once it is done.
.aart3k

Post by .aart3k »

it is current kde's default theme -.-
Phobos

Post by Phobos »

lol.. yes, it is kde's... noticed it by just looking at the image haha

the problem is not that you make a poll, is the number of useless threads you have started in just a couple of days kevintrooper...
cmoibenlepro

Post by cmoibenlepro »

It's KDE... But kde is nice, so it's nice. :roll:
kevintrooper

Post by kevintrooper »

cmoibenlepro wrote:It's KDE... But kde is nice, so it's nice. :roll:

KDE?
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

KDE, you know. K Deskop Environment. A Linux Graphical Environment.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K_Desktop_Environment
http://www.kde.org/
Switchboy

advice

Post by Switchboy »

Dear kevintrooper,

May I give you a word of advice? If not I' am going to do it anyway. :P
"Your" desings that you have posted troughout this forum lately have been clear ripoffs of someone else his hard work.
For example this:
[ external image ]
The black bar here is a clear almost 1:1 copy of the Vista bar shown here:
[ external image ]
Now lets say hypothetical that no one saw it and we all liked that design and used it in ReactOS. Then we would have given Microsoft yet another reason to sue ROS.

Now in your first post you said that you've changed but your first post after the change contained a picture wich you claim te be your design but is infact plastic from KDE. Now it could just be, since englisch is not your native tongue, that you meant "Hey look here, what a cool design for a title bar!" instead of "Hey look what i've just created!".

So here is my advice to you, try to do some good toturials, practise a bit and ask some questions around the forum. Most people around here are happy to help you out or at least point you in the right direction. Now everyone is doing hostile or ignoring you because they feel you are wasting their time. And people hate other people who waste thair precious time. :wink:
artguy10

Post by artguy10 »

We're already copying Windows 95, which looks bad. Why not copy a nicer version of Windows? :wink:

Actually, I'd like to make a new design (from scratch) which would nicely replace the default, win95 look, if that's ok.
Reacter

Post by Reacter »

If you could make a theme, that would be great. Unfortunately, ReactOS explorer is undergoing a complete rewrite, and our current explorer has no theme support. Once we can run our new explorer (ReactOS still has to gain some APIs to make it work), we will soon be able to use themes.
More ReactOS, please!
Floyd

Post by Floyd »

i don't really want to blatantly copy any version of windows (in terms of looks/desktop). that said however, i DO like the glass look and i do like dark colors (dark gray/slate, black, dark olive, dark blues) for the interface.

personally i think a glass version of a dark olive would rule (especially if you combined it with a nice natural scene wallpaper--like vista's red flower wallpaper or some thing like it).
pax mei amici amorque et Iesus sacret omnia
artguy10

Post by artguy10 »

ReactOS is already copying windows, but unfortunately, Windows is not a good OS to copy. For the sake of compatibility, I'm all for that aspect, but the look and feel of Windows can be greatly modified and improved upon by the ReactOS dev team, instead of Microsoft.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

Except our intention isn't to offer a radically different experience.