The place to bring up any design issues, or post your own creations

Moderator: Moderator Team

Floyd

Re: advice

Post by Floyd »

Switchboy wrote:Dear kevintrooper,

For example this:

The black bar here is a clear almost 1:1 copy of the Vista bar shown here:

Now lets say hypothetical that no one saw it and we all liked that design and used it in ReactOS. Then we would have given Microsoft yet another reason to sue ROS.
can you make a mock up title bar that's dark olive and has the glass effect? i would like to see it.
pax mei amici amorque et Iesus sacret omnia
artguy10

Post by artguy10 »

But there is no need to make an exact copy. For example, we are implementing desktop spaces. It doesn't have to work exactly like Windows, just be compatible with all Windows apps and files. It could work a lot like Windows, but why not make it as intuitive to use as Macs are? Windows have many design problems which can be improved upon (not necessarily radical changes), both in operating and gui.

Floyd: I'm working on a mock-up desktop for you...
[ external image ]

How's this? Drawn from scratch and used the following elements from other sources: Desktop background (from ROSFan) and icons from crystal clear. I'll get to an open window soon.

I don't think this is too different from windows to be a radical change, and I don't think Microsoft could sue for the similarities to Vista/XP.

I personally don't like the green/olive colors here, but here it is. (I would actually prefer blue; a blue desktop and theme might be my next task.)

So as far as making this, or anything else, into a theme, I would need to know how to combine these elements into a theme. Is it possible to store menu bars, task bars, icons, and a background, all in a single (large) .theme file? If I make a theme to work in Windows, would it be able to work in ReactOS?

Maybe something like this:

[ external image ]
Last edited by artguy10 on Sun Aug 12, 2007 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
artguy10

Post by artguy10 »

merged
Last edited by artguy10 on Sun Aug 12, 2007 7:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
artguy10

Post by artguy10 »

merged
Last edited by artguy10 on Sun Aug 12, 2007 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
artguy10

Post by artguy10 »

merged
Last edited by artguy10 on Sun Aug 12, 2007 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

We don't have theme support implemented at the moment. Also, it's best to try and talk to mf about this, as he's technically in charge of graphics and the like. Finally, try to avoid double posting.
artguy10

Post by artguy10 »

If I made a double post, I didn't realize it. I understand that themes aren't supported yet. This was mainly in response to Floyd.

I could also help with making new icons, but I think the best way to go would be to work with Crystal Clear on this.

EDIT: I thought double posting was posting the same thing twice in a row. I see you mean posting different things in two posts one after another.
Last edited by artguy10 on Sun Aug 12, 2007 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bond007s

Great Theme Idea

Post by Bond007s »

Maybe you could help mf and others with the shell rewrite. This theme idea looks great and is similar to vista/xp designs enough to be comfortable as a move over from, but it is also different enough to not cause comostion...
artguy10

Post by artguy10 »

I would be more than happy to help with the ui to make ROS nicer to use. But, exactly how would I be able to contribute? Who's mf?
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

mf, aka mindflyer, is the graphics coordinator for ROS. You can find info on him in the wiki.
Floyd

Post by Floyd »

artguy10 wrote:
http://img294.imageshack.us/img294/9210 ... newfp4.png

How's this? Drawn from scratch and used the following elements from other sources: Desktop background (from ROSFan) and icons from crystal clear. I'll get to an open window soon.
i like it :-)
the blue and the green both are very nice.
artguy10

Post by artguy10 »

Thanks. :)

I contacted mf.

You know, it seems the direction reactos is going is to be almost like a break-off version of windows. However, I don't think there should be major fear in becoming a little more different. For example, I was able to switch from Windows to Mac (very different, and much better) and I was completely adjusted within the month. I mean, all we need is Windows compatibility (except for the crashing part), but it looks like this is going to be able to work even with windows help files (which isn't exactly a problem either). :wink:
kevintrooper

Post by kevintrooper »

artguy10 wrote:Maybe something like this:

http://img376.imageshack.us/img376/4537 ... luelo6.png
melike! very great job!
Floyd

Post by Floyd »

artguy10 wrote:Thanks. :)

I contacted mf.

You know, it seems the direction reactos is going is to be almost like a break-off version of windows. However, I don't think there should be major fear in becoming a little more different. For example, I was able to switch from Windows to Mac (very different, and much better) and I was completely adjusted within the month. I mean, all we need is Windows compatibility (except for the crashing part), but it looks like this is going to be able to work even with windows help files (which isn't exactly a problem either). :wink:
i agree whole-heartedly
as far as you not liking the dark olive; try it with the red-flower vista backdrop--i think it would look much better to you.
artguy10

Post by artguy10 »

Floyd wrote:i agree whole-heartedly
as far as you not liking the dark olive; try it with the red-flower vista backdrop--i think it would look much better to you.
Could you please direct me to the url of the exact image you are talking about? Is this it: http://www.vistawallpapers.com/data/med ... ta_002.jpg
BTW: The task bar is 100% opaque. Do you think it would work with the red background you are talking about if I made it slightly transparent?

[ external image ]

Hey, if anyone thinks there is a chance that this might help the developers to make a better gui, please give me any suggestions for improvement/change and I can post them.
Last edited by artguy10 on Sun Aug 12, 2007 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.