Title Bar design

The place to bring up any design issues, or post your own creations

Moderator: Moderator Team

.aart3k

Post by .aart3k »

incorporate jack's window style, i find it more usable
artguy10

Post by artguy10 »

Exactly what about the window style? No glass? No buttons? Transparency style? Simple white Program Name and X [] _ ?

Another thought: On Mac OS X, there is a button which toggles between a view with toolbars and side buttons and between simple folder contents with the menu bar. Should this be incorporated?
kevintrooper

Post by kevintrooper »

sorry jack, dont feel it!
JackDaniel

Post by JackDaniel »

artguy10 wrote:Exactly what about the window style? No glass? No buttons? Transparency style? Simple white Program Name and X [] _ ?

Another thought: On Mac OS X, there is a button which toggles between a view with toolbars and side buttons and between simple folder contents with the menu bar. Should this be incorporated?
I think you should go with black as base color. Thiner titlebar on the windows. It's nice now but it looks to mutch Vista for my taste. Skip the blue and red _ [] X, and make them the same color as the titlebar as you have done on the taskbar with the spaces-buttons. And try it with transparecy instead of glass on the taskbar. And maby a cleaner circle as the startbutton with the React-logo in it...
artguy10

Post by artguy10 »

[ external image ]

I like parts of this design, but I don't feel completely comfortable with it. Taskbar seems too dark... What do you think? Also a redesigned start menu? I assume ROS developers don't intend on keeping the win 95 style.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

Thomas, the dev working on the shell rewrite, has stated that he doesn't intend to bother adding in a XP-like start menu. Someone else will probably need to code it in.

Most of the developers are Windows 2000 loyalists, so don't presume they intend to take ROS down the same direction as Windows has gone when it comes to things like interface design.
Floyd

Post by Floyd »

i much prefer the glass taskbar as opposed to the flat taskbar.
they both look good. but i think i would take jack's application window with its simplicity and the glass taskbar. i also believe the blue, olive and black should stay the main colors.
pax mei amici amorque et Iesus sacret omnia
JackDaniel

Post by JackDaniel »

artguy10 wrote: I like parts of this design, but I don't feel completely comfortable with it. Taskbar seems too dark... What do you think? Also a redesigned start menu? I assume ROS developers don't intend on keeping the win 95 style.
Better! The glass on the, iPhoney, buttons in my computer works. But the glass on -[]X and spaces dosen't look good with the clean, flat, transparacy. They stand out to mutch. Same goes for the start button. How about a circle just a bit darker than the taskbar and then the ROS-logo on top of that?
kevintrooper

Post by kevintrooper »

Z98 wrote:Thomas, the dev working on the shell rewrite, has stated that he doesn't intend to bother adding in a XP-like start menu. Someone else will probably need to code it in.

Most of the developers are Windows 2000 loyalists, so don't presume they intend to take ROS down the same direction as Windows has gone when it comes to things like interface design.

can there be a poll?
kevintrooper

Post by kevintrooper »

artguy10 wrote:[ external image ]

I like parts of this design, but I don't feel completely comfortable with it. Taskbar seems too dark... What do you think? Also a redesigned start menu? I assume ROS developers don't intend on keeping the win 95 style.

its way to dark!

edit: i like the taskbar idea! instead of that button can it be the logo?
phoenix

Post by phoenix »

I think the grey colour of the window menu and the buttons below is not 100% perfect, it could be a bit more red (a bit like the start menu).

I think it looks great and is really not too dark, though I think you should create a mockup for an inactive window as well, as it has to differ enough from the active window...

EDIT:
If this could become a future theme of reactos, one should make a non-transparent version now, as a 3D window manager will need much longer than the normal skinning system.
my blog: phoenix.de.am
artguy10

Post by artguy10 »

Is this better?

[ external image ]

This was a little more mac-inspired instead of just windows.

I'm still not happy with the start menu design. If people put out ideas for me to make mock-ups and people vote, that would be fine.

And I'm still not happy with the taskbar. I think a white-glass one would be nice maybe, instead of transparency. And I can't figure how a simple logo would be thought of as a button more than a circle, but here goes...

[ external image ]

So I think this is pretty much the evolution so far:

http://img294.imageshack.us/img294/9210 ... newfp4.png
http://img118.imageshack.us/img118/6571 ... newlp0.png
http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/7113 ... newkx9.png
http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/6768 ... latut0.png
Last edited by artguy10 on Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reacter

Post by Reacter »

No offense meant, but, do you mind merging your posts, and not double posting(or quad)?
More ReactOS, please!
JackDaniel

Post by JackDaniel »

This one I liked the most! It feels ergonomic and easy on your eyes. But if it would be a standard theme for ROS I guess it couldnt have the transparency sadly.
Angelus

Post by Angelus »

I agree with JackDaniel. I prefer the reactosdesktopflatui6.png theme or even reactosdesktopflatut0.png theme. Really clear and similar enough to wind0ws way.

Maybe one day Reactos will support transparencies in themes.