Kernal

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

windtalker

Kernal

Post by windtalker »

Hello all.
I've read through the forum at random and am a bit intrigued with the system being developed here.
I run a linux system as my primary and use virtualbox to play with other systems. Lerned a long time ago it's a lot simpler and less time consuming to do it this way.
In any event, I would like to put reactos through it's paces and possibly post my findings and/or suggestions here.
From the screenshots and the posts I've read, things look romising and I feel this may be a distro worth watching.
I need to know what flavor of Linux is used as well as the kernal, providing I didn't misread and this is Unix.
Thx for the info in advance and good luck.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

ReactOS is not Linux. We are a from scratch implementation of the NT system, from kernel on up, using parts of WINE for our win32k subsystem.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

OK, looks like you did not even read the main Page.

ReactOS IS NO LINUX, NO UNIX NOR ANY OTHER *NIX STUFF

It's a NT Architecture based OS with its own, written from scratch Kernel that aims to be binary compatible to Win2003.
Last edited by EmuandCo on Sat Sep 15, 2007 11:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
Reacter

Post by Reacter »

Uhh... sorry to be a disappointment, but ReactOS is _NOT_ a distrobution of Linux, Unix, Minix, or *. ReactOS is an attempt to completely recode the Windows kernel, the Win32k, and some apps, and run Windows drivers. No Linux.
More ReactOS, please!
windtalker

Post by windtalker »

my apologies.

What I read from the main page......

ReactOS® is an advanced free open source operating system providing a ground-up implementation of a Microsoft Windows® XP compatible operating system. ReactOS aims to achieve complete binary compatibility with both applications and device drivers meant for NT and XP operating systems, by using a similar architecture and providing a complete and equivalent public interface.

ReactOS is the most complete working model of a Windows® like operating system available. Consequently, working programmers will learn a great deal by studying ReactOS source code and even participating in ReactOS development.

ReactOS has and will continue to incorporating features from newer versions and sometimes even define the state of the art in operating system technology.

In short, ReactOS is aiming to run your applications and use your hardware, a free operating system for everyone!

Please bear in mind that ReactOS 0.3.3 is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature complete and is not recommended for everyday use. ..................................................................................................

when I read open source, it usually follows it's some sort of nix system.

In any event, I've downloaded and burned a cd. I'll run it in Vbox and see what happens.