MS secretly updates your windows xp install

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, drop it in here. (not to be used as a chat/nonsense section)

Moderator: Moderator Team

betaluva

MS secretly updates your windows xp install

Post by betaluva »

Microsoft has begun patching files on Windows XP and Vista without users' knowledge, even when the users have turned off auto-updates.Many companies require testing of patches before they are widely installed, and businesses in this situation are objecting to the stealth patching. In recent days, Windows Update (WU) started altering files on users' systems without displaying any dialog box to request permission. The only files that have been reportedly altered to date are nine small executables on XP and nine on Vista that are used by WU itself. Microsoft is patching these files silently, even if auto-updates have been disabled on a particular PC.

It's surprising that these files can be changed without the user's knowledge. The Automatic Updates dialog box in the Control Panel can be set to prevent updates from being installed automatically. However, with Microsoft's latest stealth move, updates to the WU executables seem to be installed regardless of the settings — without notifying users. When users launch Windows Update, Microsoft's online service can check the version of its executables on the PC and update them if necessary. What's unusual is that people are reporting changes in these files although WU wasn't authorized to install anything.
source: http://windowssecrets.com/comp/070913/#story1
dreams

Post by dreams »

Heh, using Ubuntu feels better and better everyday. If i want to use Windows, i'll use Win2000, or ReactOS in the future.
tomleem

Lean toward ROS

Post by tomleem »

I would lean more toward ReactOS than Win2k. 8)
Tom Lee M / BigGoofyGuy
eXile

Post by eXile »

Definitly a must-have feature for ReactOS!!1111 :roll:
Jawmht

Post by Jawmht »

Disable the service "Windows Update" and "Backgroung Intellegent Transfer Service".
tomleem

It was disabled?

Post by tomleem »

From what I have read about it, those were disabled and yet MS was able to update files without the user knowing about it. :cry:
Tom Lee M / BigGoofyGuy
andrewweb

Post by andrewweb »

That's annoying. And likely to be illegal. (look at the law more carefully next time, MS!)
eXile

Post by eXile »

There is already a lawsuit on the way in Germany ... :roll:
Reacter

Post by Reacter »

Whose to say something like this couldn't happen to ROS? (Imagine: Someone toys with our new, great update feature someone will create, and downloads WGA to every ROS system from the background?) Oops, best stay out of the "Random thoughts" range, sorry.
eXile

Post by eXile »

Why should ReactOS support or event clone something like WGA? Or even why should our "great update feature" download anything if the user doesn't want it? Wouldn't be so "great", isn't it...
FlyingIsFun1217

Post by FlyingIsFun1217 »

While it would make some sense to put an update feature into ROS, it would still be open source, meaning that by virtue, your safe from that happening, or you know it can happen.

If somebody modifies it to do malicious things, than you would see that in the source. If they don't release source, than they are breaking the GPL, I believe, and you become very cautious.

FlyingIsFun1217
artguy10

Post by artguy10 »

Is it just me, or did microsoft stop requiring the new windows update program? I don't remember updating it, but I seem to be able to get updates.
calande

Post by calande »

All Microsoft applications use WGA as a requirement before installation (Windows Live Mail, Windows Live Messenger, IE7, WMP, etc...).

How will Reactos deal with this requirement? Will it advertise itself as a genuine Windows ? :D
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

IE7 no long has that requirement. And Crossover has challenged Microsoft successfully in the past regarding this issue. We'll see how long MS' current strategy remains legal.
tomleem

restarts?

Post by tomleem »

Every so often my Win Vista would give a message that it will restart in a certain amount of time. I click 'postpone' but it keeps on giving the message until I restart it myself or click restart. I wish it would accept that I do not want to restart till I am ready. I don't want to restart when I am in the middle of something. :cry: 8)
Tom Lee M / BigGoofyGuy