Easier driver installation

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Z_God

Easier driver installation

Post by Z_God »

Hi,
Currently most guides on the ReactOS page say that it is needed to recompile/regenerate the registry to install new drivers.
I was wondering if it would be possible to insert things into the registry by running regedit from within ReactOS and import a premade reg file instead. This would be a lot easier for me.
Also any info about when there will be an automatic driver installer?
Thanks a lot in advance,
Z
FloFri

Post by FloFri »

Try regedit /s foo.reg to insert foo.reg into the registry (dont hurt me, if i am wrong, but if i remember correct, i read, that this is the way it works).

Automaic driver installation needs some time, because it is hard to implement (you need installers, for every kind of hardware (network, graphic, sound, ...). But i hope, that it will come soon, too :)
Gasmann

Post by Gasmann »

As said, from the commandshell, you can use regedit /s <file.reg> to import the file in registry. However in recent builds this should also be possible through the gui of regedit, because the bugs with it have been fixed. (See http://www.reactsoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=67 ).
Z_God

Post by Z_God »

I understand.
The guides haven't been updated yet though.

Now that I think of this, for the time being, it would be really neat if someone could create a package for the NVidia driver for example including a batch file that copies everything automaticly the the proper directories and imports a file into the registry.
Gasmann

Post by Gasmann »

Z_God wrote:I understand.
The guides haven't been updated yet though.

Now that I think of this, for the time being, it would be really neat if someone could create a package for the NVidia driver for example including a batch file that copies everything automaticly the the proper directories and imports a file into the registry.
The registry file needed to enable the nvidia driver can be found on my website http://home.arcor.de/gasmann01 . There are several resolutions, so you only have to download the needed file and import it to the registry. This avoids the need to rebuild the registry.
Z_God

Post by Z_God »

Wow, thanks a lot :) This is exactly what I meant.
I'll try it out as soon as possible!