(maybe) ReactOS Media Player

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

mrsuicide

Re: Mplayer

Post by mrsuicide »

Double post. :(
Last edited by mrsuicide on Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
mrsuicide

Re: Mplayer

Post by mrsuicide »

Double post. :(
Golden_Condor

Post by Golden_Condor »

I personally am not able to provide a home for MPlayer but i have saved the source code wich was available on the MPlayer website.
The url where you can dowload the source code is:

http://rapidshare.de/files/1066736/MPla ... r.bz2.html
fuzz

Post by fuzz »

I prefer foobar2k to all of these its the best!
http://www.foobar2000.org/
oiaohm

Fuzz and everyone else please stick to stuff that opensource

Post by oiaohm »

So that it can be shiped with reactos it has to be opensource so it can be changed to fit ie reactos has to support all langs not just english so we have to be able to edit and and langs on demand.

Thanks Golden_Condor for backup of mplayer Still looking for a new home most likely running out time this will by some.

Checking rules on sf.net might get it moved there.
oiaohm

Opps should have been in last post

Post by oiaohm »

The backup of mplayer needs to be the exe for windows.

There is a subversion of mplayer on sf.net called mplayerxp.sf.net(xp does not mean windows xp it is source code only and Xp means extra performance the faster version)

Note this version has never been tested on windows and is most likely missing the windows patchs.

I still have to check the rules to see if I can transfer the website completely.

This is always the best responce plan for the worst. Have backup plan in place if it all fails at least we have something. Note ReactOS.com also need to check where they are based to make sure patent don't hit this.
cyborg

Post by cyborg »

make a WRAPPER which wraps all media player functions around

setting up the wrapper could be made in a control center, where you can define wrapped functions into "executed commands" AND/or "executed sysmessage" sending to apps or activeXs
so ppl can define own media players easily. this wrapping system could be used system widely to other progs too. would make rOS a lot more configurable.

this is more important for me than a integrated media player. in windows it is hard to stop windows using some programs. notepad replace, replace for IE (there is an ActiveX Wrap of Mozilla but isnt always easy to get the programs use that)

so you can bring ReactOS with some "integrated" wrapped 3rd party media player.

please dont be like MS, integrated hard coded stuff is what makes windows so unflexible!
cyborg

Post by cyborg »

why saving a backup of source?

mplayer aint gonna die, its hungarian, hungarians are extensive linux users
oiaohm

mplayer aint gonna die True but it home is the problem

Post by oiaohm »

The laws inforcing patents are going to cause it problems.

There are alot of notes and information in the www.Mplayerhq.hu site that could be lost due to the site being removed.

The front notice as you enter the site tells you that development has stoped so it need a new home so we can keep it developing.

Note a project without a home normally dies. Out of the Mplayer set of open source programs the most developed for windows compad is the first at www.mplayerhq.hu.

I was crossing my fingers here that someone whould be in a country where software patents are not breathing down your neck. Its has turn out that I cannot due to where I live. Because patents on software will come into inforcement. So I cannot even just mirror the site across to sf.net because since I would be the site keeper I would be exposed and I don't have the funds to fight.

Heck I hate software patents it wrecks good software fun ie I like that so I will clone. I hope to block software patents from comming in if I can with the help of others.

This project reactos could be in trouble too. Depending on what country it is setup in.

At least could someone with a bigger connection than me run wget across the site and back it up. Just in case the worst happens and the site is shutdown.

It does not matter how much a country support Linux if the laws supporting patents is passed. Companys like Microsoft will be able to shutdown all projects existing in that Country or controled by a person in that Country. The worst is if they get to hunt developers ie you add code from X country so they Sue you.

Unless mirrors are kept a lot of information could be lost. Before the OSS can sort out the mess.
slippyC

Hmmm....

Post by slippyC »

Pretty sure that even MPC uses DShow for some things like WMV playback. ReactOS is going to have to implement DS because so many apps depend on it for video decoding. I'm also pretty positive that you have to buy MS codec if you are using on anything but Windows. It would solve a lot of problems with DS implemented, you could use pretty much any codec(well any that didn't restrict to Windows OS).

While not important with movies, alot of folks use WMV for game clips and so forth. I believe it is because using Windows Movie Maker is easy program and free. This maybe where someone has to come up with a similar solution, but have it encode in one of the free codecs like XViD. That still leaves the problem of either paying for the MS codec or using it illegally(don't see anyone hacking the codec, just not worth it).
Meklort

Re: mplayer aint gonna die True but it home is the problem

Post by Meklort »

oiaohm wrote:The front notice as you enter the site tells you that development has stoped so it need a new home so we can keep it developing.
oiaohm wrote: I was crossing my fingers here that someone whould be in a country where software patents are not breathing down your neck. Its has turn out that I cannot due to where I live. Because patents on software will come into inforcement. So I cannot even just mirror the site across to sf.net because since I would be the site keeper I would be exposed and I don't have the funds to fight.

Heck I hate software patents it wrecks good software fun ie I like that so I will clone. I hope to block software patents from comming in if I can with the help of others.

This project reactos could be in trouble too. Depending on what country it is setup in.

At least could someone with a bigger connection than me run wget across the site and back it up. Just in case the worst happens and the site is shutdown.
<snip>
Unless mirrors are kept a lot of information could be lost. Before the OSS can sort out the mess.
I know this is a bit old, but..
I would be willing to host the site, or atleast a mirror, (im doing a wget on it right now). NOt sure if its such a good idea in the US. If it isnt, then tough luck for me.
Mammlouk

Re: Hmmm....

Post by Mammlouk »

slippyC wrote:Pretty sure that even MPC uses DShow for some things like WMV playback. ReactOS is going to have to implement DS because so many apps depend on it for video decoding. I'm also pretty positive that you have to buy MS codec if you are using on anything but Windows. It would solve a lot of problems with DS implemented, you could use pretty much any codec(well any that didn't restrict to Windows OS).

While not important with movies, alot of folks use WMV for game clips and so forth. I believe it is because using Windows Movie Maker is easy program and free. This maybe where someone has to come up with a similar solution, but have it encode in one of the free codecs like XViD. That still leaves the problem of either paying for the MS codec or using it illegally(don't see anyone hacking the codec, just not worth it).
There are implementations of windows media codecs for linux, why can't they be used for ROS?
slippyC

Re: Hmmm....

Post by slippyC »

mammlouk wrote:
slippyC wrote:Pretty sure that even MPC uses DShow for some things like WMV playback. ReactOS is going to have to implement DS because so many apps depend on it for video decoding. I'm also pretty positive that you have to buy MS codec if you are using on anything but Windows. It would solve a lot of problems with DS implemented, you could use pretty much any codec(well any that didn't restrict to Windows OS).

There are implementations of windows media codecs for linux, why can't they be used for ROS?
Well if it is and you can leagally use it on other stuff, then I see no reason why not. Pretty much people are gonna install the codec anyway, just something to think about though(the Window's version of the codec).

Can the Linux wma/wmv codec decode the newer encodes?
Mammlouk

Post by Mammlouk »

I'm not sure what all of the capabilities are, but it plays videos off akll the sites I've visited. Only trouble I've had is with browser plugins, but not the codec itself.
sherpya

Post by sherpya »

mpc uses directshow for most decoders, mplayer works fine on win32, there is also a native gui version on my site http://oss.netfarm.it/mplayer-win32.php