Post by fuzz »

If i install React OS, can I

1 install firefox or a usable web browser
2 use my wireless pc card
3 install windows 98 from it with my 98 install disk

Thanks Fuzz
TwoTailedFox

Post by TwoTailedFox »

1. Unknown if Installation would work. TCP/IP is currently not finished, so Networking and Web Browsing are not available. TCP/IP is currently scheduled for ROS 0.3.0

2. More than likely not, at least, not until a Later version of ROS.

3. Install Windows 98 first, then ROS, since 98 is very paranoid about taking over the Boot Sector. Installing 98 from ROS.. Not sure if it can or not, you can certainly try...
Meklort

Re: IBM Thinkpad

Post by Meklort »

fuzz wrote:If i install React OS, can I

1 install firefox or a usable web browser
2 use my wireless pc card
3 install windows 98 from it with my 98 install disk

Thanks Fuzz
1) I doubt it, not sure how well the installers work, and tcp/ip is experiments / doesnt work / sothign else
2) Drivers wouldnt work
3) You could, but i wouldnt (then again, not sure if the installer would run).
fuzz

Post by fuzz »

Thanks, i messed me lappy and the 98 disk wont boot and the dos is messed and i hav no floppy drive
Gedi

Post by Gedi »

TwoTailedFox wrote:1. Unknown if Installation would work. TCP/IP is currently not finished, so Networking and Web Browsing are not available. TCP/IP is currently scheduled for ROS 0.3.0
There are still a few problems with firefox, mainly on the windowing side. Dillo works well though, as does ROS' built in web browser, ibrowser.
You need to install the mozilla 1.6 activeX controller to get it to work.
The IP stack is up and running in 0.2.6. You should be able to surf the web, grab your email and use ftp amougst other things.
There are still a few issues which will be ironed out before 0.3. One of the main problems is lack of GUI to configure the IP details. It must be done in the registry.
fuzz

Post by fuzz »

Where is all this software? I had nothing i n my numerious vmware instalations.

And how would i set up Dillo, i thought it was for linux?
Gedi

Post by Gedi »

All the software is on the net. You have to download it and install it (with the exception of ibrowser and the FTP console prog, ping, etc.)

dillo - http://dillo-win.sourceforge.jp/index.en.html

Here is a pic of ROS accessing the ReactOS web site some time at the beginning of Jan, which is well before the 0.2.6 release.
[ external image ]
fuzz

Post by fuzz »

I have a question thought, if desktop A is connected wirelessly could i run an eithernet cord from the back of desktop A to Laptop B and get connected to the net?
Meklort

Post by Meklort »

fuzz wrote:I have a question thought, if desktop A is connected wirelessly could i run an eithernet cord from the back of desktop A to Laptop B and get connected to the net?
Yes you can, On desktop A if its running windows you have to set up internet connections sharing. You can also setup a network bridge (i think)
fuzz

Post by fuzz »

Any info on how i would be able to do this?!?

EDIT thanks I think I got it
fuzz

Post by fuzz »

ok new problem, I have Grub from my Syllable install, and it wont die, now i get error 2 from grub, how can i get rid of it?!?!
mjs

Post by mjs »

Get a DOS (or Win98) boot disk and run fdisk /mbr.

BTW: You may search for a free NovellDOS (Caldera OpenDOS) on the net. That contains a suitable FDISK too. Maybe you can also use the FDISK of FreeDOS (www.freedos.org).

Regards,
Mark