Until hti happens i would not YET use react OS permenantly

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

React_dude

Until hti happens i would not YET use react OS permenantly

Post by React_dude »

I have tried react OS and am quite impressed. But there are a few things that need to happen before i will replace windows 95 on my old compaq laptop. namely:

- Networking
- being able to be fast on a 486 DX4 @ 75.
- a network install (no cd drive)
- plus support or drivers for a 3com 3CCE589ET type 2 pcmcia card (rj 45 adapter)

- and being able to fit on a 420 meg. HD.

other then that i am very impressed by the React OS developers. Keep up the good work!
We need a react OS Update. How would we get by wih out it.
Darklin
Team

Post by Darklin »

Answers or thoughts in order...

Networking is coming along nicely from what I can see on the day to day.

While some optimization is done 'in line' with the other programming, I imagine the majority of optimization won't start happening untill ReactOS has much more functionality than it presently does.

There are plans for a network install of ReactOS if memory serves right. It may take a bit to get there but I imagine it will happen not long after the actual 'install' system gets built. Heh.

Once ReactOS gets a good portion of binary compatability done I imagine your nic will work with the 'windows nt' drivers it came with.

Finally, ReactOS works just peachy with 8MB of disk space at present. I imagine this will bloat up some as we hit things like DirectX and such, however, for a base ReactOS install I really don't see it being more than 200MB when all is said and done and to be honest it will take it quite some time to get that big...
~Darklin
DocPheniX

Re: Until hti happens i would not YET use react OS permenant

Post by DocPheniX »

React_dude wrote:
- Networking
- being able to be fast on a 486 DX4 @ 75.
- a network install (no cd drive)
- plus support or drivers for a 3com 3CCE589ET type 2 pcmcia card (rj 45 adapter)
mine are as follows including the above

1 - standard win32 driver installer support

above I'm talking about win32 not just win nt 4 (nt, 2k, xp, 2k3 server drivers) that would make this os much more versatile than any of the os's listed. really now, how many of you bought a peice of hardware and found that you couldnt get the driver for say xp or 2k3 server but it was availible for win 2k.

2 - the win32 api complete including any "undocumented" api calls that we can find.

this is strictly for stability completeness. it would make it much more likely that aplications would run/run correctly.
heres a link for some info on the native api's for the devrs peeking at this
http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/information.shtml

3 - alternate shell support.

personaly i use blackbox for win http://www.bb4win.org as my shell on windows xp and if this was a default option it would open this up to many linux users as many are used to shells like this :twisted:

4 - more stable kernel!

i know you guys are working on this one a lot, and i tell you what im all for it keep it up!
Jaix
Moderator Team

Drivers for win9x to ReactOS!!!

Post by Jaix »

Talking about driver support:
DocPheniX wrote:
1 - standard win32 driver installer support

above I'm talking about win32 not just win nt 4 (nt, 2k, xp, 2k3 server drivers) that would make this os much more versatile than any of the os's listed. really now, how many of you bought a peice of hardware and found that you couldnt get the driver for say xp or 2k3 server but it was availible for win 2k.
Yes! I like that! I really want an operating system being able to run win9x drivers also not just winnt.
GvG

Post by GvG »

Yes! I like that! I really want an operating system being able to run win9x drivers also not just winnt.
Sorry, not going to happen. win9x drivers are too different.
Darklin
Team

Post by Darklin »

I guess it depends on how you look at it, GvG.

Win9x drivers are based on VxD (Virtual Devices). To use the VxD's you need a program known as the VMM (Virtual Machine Manager). I imagine if someone were really really interested in having VxD's on ReactOS they could write vmm32.sys (Instead of vmm32.vxd)

It would take some serious hacks but it could be done. The better question is, why would you want to?! Microsoft rewrote the driver subsystem specifially because the concept of vxd's made writing drivers a pita AND by their very nature, vxd's are unstable.

I would think the person who had a device that they just 'had' to use a vxd for would be better served seeing if the manufacturer has an 'updated' driver capable of running on 2k/XP systems OR porting the device themselves.
~Darklin
Gedi

Post by Gedi »

Darklin wrote: It would take some serious hacks but it could be done.
He never said it couldn't be done, just that they were too different too bother implementing, which is the direction your post goes in too ........ heh.
DocPheniX

Post by DocPheniX »

actualy i wasn't refering to 9x drivers at all just win nt and above, but if someone hacked in 9x driver support i dont think anyone would complain.
:lol:
but the abillity to load drivers from nt 4, 2k, xp/2k3 would be very nice
React_dude

Post by React_dude »

Yes but I only have a WIN95 driver. (bought it from my school bus driver)
We need a react OS Update. How would we get by wih out it.
Jaix
Moderator Team

Win9x drivers for ReactOS

Post by Jaix »

There is many reasons why Win9x drives would be interesting, for example, the system would be a good replacement OS for the ones with outdated hardware wanting a modern operating system.

Darklin wrote:
I would think the person who had a device that they just 'had' to use a vxd for would be better served seeing if the manufacturer has an 'updated' driver capable of running on 2k/XP systems OR porting the device themselves.
I have done the first thing, ther is none not even a custom hack...
...and the second I'm not a programmer, so it woan't happen (from me anyway) (It's the Matrox Mystique and Rainbow Runner Studio plus a Paragon Page Color scanner)
Mrkaras

Post by Mrkaras »

Surly nothing is imposable?
I have a scanner that will only work on win9x, and i am running out of win98 PCs, i think it uses a .386 file as its driver and i think that is somthing a bit like a VxD and also will not run on winNT based OSs. It would be nice if reactos alowed me to continue using this
Gasmann

Re: Drivers for win9x to ReactOS!!!

Post by Gasmann »

Jaix wrote:Yes! I like that! I really want an operating system being able to run win9x drivers also not just winnt.
win9x drivers are crappy. I would be much more happy to see win2k drivers working, that would be much better IMHO :wink:
frik85
Developer

Re: Drivers for win9x to ReactOS!!!

Post by frik85 »

gasmann wrote:win9x drivers are crappy. I would be much more happy to see win2k drivers working, that would be much better IMHO :wink:
The WDM driver support (for Win 2000 driver) is planed for ReactOS 0.5

ReleasePlans: http://mok.lvcm.com/cgi-bin/reactos/ros ... leasePlans
Owen

Re: Until hti happens i would not YET use react OS permenant

Post by Owen »

DocPheniX wrote: 3 - alternate shell support.

personaly i use blackbox for win http://www.bb4win.org as my shell on windows xp and if this was a default option it would open this up to many linux users as many are used to shells like this :twisted:
Can be done already (Replace explorer.exe) but really should be done via registry (Ala Win NT, at least 2k+)
Owen Shepherd - http://www.humgun.com
uniQ

Post by uniQ »

Since this is OpnSrc, someone someday will deal with VxDs and get them working in ROS, that or make a 3rd party tool of some sort. But for now I agree that NT drivers are far more important.

-Q
Coming on, coming up, let me help ROS and I'll be able to look @ a life well used.