(L)GPL?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

uniQ

(L)GPL?

Post by uniQ »

ROS is GPL, but when making contributions, everyone seems to say that LGPL is better for the individual contributions. Why (is) this?

-uniQ
Coming on, coming up, let me help ROS and I'll be able to look @ a life well used.
Gasmann

Re: (L)GPL?

Post by Gasmann »

uniQ wrote:ROS is GPL, but when making contributions, everyone seems to say that LGPL is better for the individual contributions. Why (is) this?

-uniQ
As far as I understand the LGPL only makes it possible to use the project in commercial software, but maybe I'm wrong.
SirTalon

Post by SirTalon »

LGPLs main difference from GPL is that non open source (non GPL/LGPL/etc), can not link against it (like it can't be used as a library).
e7

Post by e7 »

A DLL, licensed under the terms of LGPL can be used by other programs like MSOffice. If the DLL is licensed under GPL and MSOffice use it, MSOffice must be GPL too.

Or you can say if you would say it extremly: If you write a GPL-Macro in MSOffice, MSOffice must be GPL ;)
uniQ

Post by uniQ »

But why is licensing contributions as LGPL preferred when ROS is GPL to begin with?

-uniQ
Coming on, coming up, let me help ROS and I'll be able to look @ a life well used.
sedwards
Developer

LGPL

Post by sedwards »

It needs to be LGPL so we can share code with Wine. 3rd party software can be licensed anyway it wants as it does not use our SDK/DDK to build. Even if they did our SDK and DDK is public domain so the only time someone must GPL or LGPL the application is if they directly use our source code in that application.
-sedwards
Epmak

Post by Epmak »

uniQ wrote:But why is licensing contributions as LGPL preferred when ROS is GPL to begin with?
Not sure but why just not contribute code related to wine under 2 licenses:
GPL & LGPL