reactsoft.com got hacked!

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

w3seek
Developer

reactsoft.com got hacked!

Post by w3seek »

For those who wonder why my server reactsoft.com is inaccessible, basically it got hacked and some attacks were started from the server so my hoster decided to take it offline and just notified me.

I don't have further information at the moment so I'll contact them later this morning to discuss the further procedure to get it back online.

I don't know how long it'll take to get it online again, it depends on whether data was destroyed or whatever else....
uniQ

Post by uniQ »

POORNESS!

That royally sucks.

-uniQ
Coming on, coming up, let me help ROS and I'll be able to look @ a life well used.
wolvenwraith

Post by wolvenwraith »

eh, that sucks. Check your logs for offending parties?
w3seek
Developer

Post by w3seek »

well, basically the system doesn't boot anymore, looks like the hacker screwed it really bad...My hoster installed a KVM-over-IP and booted the machine with a SuSE CD so i could backup data at least but there's nothing really that important on the machine and I basically don't really have the time to do that, i just told them to setup the system again so it'll take a while until i get everything up and working again...

I congratulate the hacker though - he did a very cool job...it's not even a corporate server...
uniQ

Post by uniQ »

Sucks. It's good that you got the data again, I always liked your daily CVS ISOs. With netwking coming, it would be even better...

-uniQ
Coming on, coming up, let me help ROS and I'll be able to look @ a life well used.
w3seek
Developer

Post by w3seek »

I don't have backups of the mysql database though, so i have to completely relaunch the website

stupid me ;) Anyway nothing that important on the hard disk anyway...
blight
Developer

Post by blight »

Last edited by blight on Wed Feb 23, 2005 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Delfi

Post by Delfi »

oh dear, that guy just got more enemies than bill gates :D
blight
Developer

Post by blight »

Last edited by blight on Wed Feb 23, 2005 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Delfi

Post by Delfi »

wow, you are famous :D
DocPheniX

lame

Post by DocPheniX »

just wanted to post somthin about this :? just think its kindof lame myself that someone would hack your site, i miss the preloaded qemu images :( well i wish you all the best in getting reactsoft back up and running its a great resource for us
uniQ

Post by uniQ »

I miss it too, the ISOs were great to see exactly where ROS was on a daily basis.

-Q
Jaix
Moderator Team

Scedule for Reinstallation

Post by Jaix »

w3seek I really want to encourage you in your Reactsoft.com site, it was really good both daily builds and the forum, but now I wonder about when you plan to have the site up and running again. I really would like to follow the progress in networking, I can hardly bare to wait.

Do you have a date when you think reactsoft will be up again?
w3seek
Developer

Post by w3seek »

I'm not sure if i'm going to launch the forums again for two reasons:
1) my last backup is rather old and that doesn't include most screenshots posted, unfortunately
2) we got an adequate forum here now

if i'm bored some day I'm going to setup the site, but I've been really busy with university and ROS development, so if anyone wants to write a simple website for the downloads, feel free to contact me ;)

Please don't tell me that it's bad not to make frequent backups, my security concerns, etc, because
1) i'm using the server mostly for email traffic
2) the only important website it's running was reactsoft.com - which was more or less a private project, nothing commercial.
3) the server doesn't store important data
4) backups require maintainance unless automated fully - both requires spare time which I don't want to waste - it's a private thing after all ;)

Anyways, as I said if someone feels like creating a simple website, feel free to contact me.
Jaix
Moderator Team

w3seek - no forum and reactsoft.com site when time allows

Post by Jaix »

w3seek said:
I'm not sure if i'm going to launch the forums again...
...if i'm bored some day I'm going to setup the site, but I've been really busy with university and ROS development, so if anyone wants to write a simple website for the downloads, feel free to contact me
I agree with you, this forum is as good as your was.

And ofcourse I understan about time and you being busy, I know what you'r talking about, I think the main need is the downloads, VMWare and qemu for me anyway. Since some of us aren't developers, we need someone to make these snapshots. Please make them available soon.