Surprises in the next few months ?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

wildschwein

Surprises in the next few months ?

Post by wildschwein »

I read somewhere in the spanish blog, that there will be some (good?) surprises in the next few months ?

I am wondering what that could be. Some new high-skilled develloper ? A sponsor, that supports reactos with not to less money ?
A technical break-through ?

What could it be....
gonzoMD

Re: Surprises in the next few months ?

Post by gonzoMD »

I think they meant nothing else than the code which will be comitted the next time, because the last few weeks and months, many surprises allready happened, such as FF Download-Bug and more or less working real ACPI.

The next time we get (as seen at svn tracker) a new PCI driver, Yarotows will be merged (Fullscreen in games and Reso changing), and who knows what the devs still have for us (whith us i meant the whole world)
evilslon

Post by evilslon »

Maybe this surprises is nothing else than jump to beta stage and 0.4 wil be released in next few months? That's would be great...
Yaraslau

Post by Yaraslau »

In 2011 Windows 8 and Reactos 0.4.X are to be released. Enough? :)
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Windows 8 wont come 2011 for sure. A 2 years cycle for one of their OSes is a lil bit short
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
fLuXx

Post by fLuXx »

I see... So, you're not negating that ros will hit beta in 2011? ;)
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

We reach Bata state when we are done. I wont give any eta ppl could nail me on. This is the first thing I learned in IT, NEVER EVER give a date when it is done, except you are fond of stress and Sado Maso.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
Bblaauw

Post by Bblaauw »

Speaking of ReactOS downloads, any trunk ISOs available for download? Latest generated 1 was 47864 at http://www.reactos.org/getbuilds/
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

If we tell about them now, they wouldn't be surprises anymore.
Yaraslau

Post by Yaraslau »

EmuandCo wrote:Windows 8 wont come 2011 for sure. A 2 years cycle for one of their OSes is a lil bit short
I meant at least public beta.
mrugiero

Post by mrugiero »

fLuXx wrote:I see... So, you're not negating that ros will hit beta in 2011? ;)
According to the frontpage, 0.4.x will be still alpha, reaching to beta with 0.5.x.
wildschwein

Post by wildschwein »

Whatever the surprise will be - i am looking forward it - like a child to Christmas :-)

In my opinion ROS gets better and betters - it's just a "feeling" - I don't not know ANYTHING in detail about ROS, it's too difficult for me.
But sometimes I test some release - and things are really getting better and better.

I am just a big fan - and i am hoping and praying nearly every day, that ROS makes soon its break-through - and the whole world looks astonished :-)

There are such a lot of people who want to keep XP and don't want to change to 7, because they know all menus and all is working fine. But it's not sure, that XP runs on new hardware, where 7 is on.

THE WORLD IS WAITING FOR ROS - and it's worth waiting for it - Day by Day - it's ready, when it's ready !
Aeneas

Post by Aeneas »

If I were to be allowed to quip a cynical remark, then I would like to mention that I would be perfectly shocked if ROS even theoretically could be ready any OTHER time than "when it is ready". This fruitless tautology has never ever become more sensible in my eyes just for being repeated over and over again. It is as if a guy in a baloon shouts down to you the question where he is, and you scream back - "In a baloon!" And while on an emotional level I actually do share your enthusiasm, I am also not blind to the fact that a release is indeed overdue were this project to be taken as a "serious" OS; yet, it being officially just a hobby project, I have become inclined to meet it without demands or expectations of any kind. Thus it can be, from my point of view, ready five minutes after the end of all eternity - but, naturally, only if this does not cause too much time pressure.
emule01

Post by emule01 »

anyway reactos will be obsolete when he 'll come out in x86
hope that the x86-64 will be out and ready at the same time
wildschwein

Post by wildschwein »

and even it's only a "hobby project" - (what it's not in my opinion)

It's one of our BIG HOPES ! Most computer technique is ready and mature. Nearly 90% of "normal people" can do what they need with their computer. Write letters, make tables, correct fotos and make same easy videos.

NOBODY WANTS to CHANGE TO WINDOWS 7, only because on new hardware there is no Windows XP anymore.

It' s so senseless to always invent the wheel new ! Why must there alwasy be a new OS, with new graphical appreance, new buttons and so long.

Answer: Because it's mature and ready. 90% needs no more functions. But MS wants to earn money again, and big companys and even states have an interesst to confuse Joe Public - he should spend his money for new technologie, because he should believe, that his "old" computer is to slow, and to "old" - he must buy a new one.
Linux is to complicated for Joe Public and there are to many distribution, what is also confusing. If there were only ONE Linux, perhaps this would be an altermativ for Joe Public.

Reactos will stop this ! It will be there and it will always look like XP - and there will be always service packs and improvements from a large community (like in Linux now). After a certain maturity first small companies will use Reactos and later big ones to.
AND JOE PUBLIC WON'T EVEN NOTICE THAT HE USES REACTOS ! He will believe that it's WINDOWS !

Yes, now it's only a dream, but it will be reality. I KNOW IT ! Let's go on together !