OMG, FAR manager works!!!

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

tonik

OMG, FAR manager works!!!

Post by tonik »

I love you guys :-)

A good console file manager (FAR on Win32, MC on Linux) is something I can't live without. Now we have that in ReactOS 0.2.4. Great!

(Ok it must be old news but I only tried 0.2.4 yesterday)

But I was a bit disappointed by the looks. The pseudographical characters are not there. Is it an Oem/ANSI/Unicode translation issue, or just lack of a free monospace font like Lucida Console?
navaraf
Developer

Post by navaraf »

Well, I spent quite a few days getting FAR Manager to work. It's the main tool for me and I use it for the ROS development... :-)

About the font question... I'm not sure what patches made it into the CVS before 0.2.4 (which is quite old), but it's surely possible to display the special characters now if you install and setup a correct font (I'm using Lucida Console).

(Oh, BTW, with correctly setup locale it's also possible to use FAR in Russian language)
tonik

Post by tonik »

navaraf wrote:Well, I spent quite a few days getting FAR Manager to work. It's the main tool for me and I use it for the ROS development... :-)
Glad to hear. Btw just in case, have you ever considered writing (or helping someone write) an open-source FAR clone? I keep thinking of it every now and then and sometimes it even results in some actual code being written...
navaraf wrote:(Oh, BTW, with correctly setup locale it's also possible to use FAR in Russian language)
Any hints on how that can be done?

Btw may I hope that ReactOS's i18n handling is being done the right way - the way it's done in Windows XP?

The preferred language for applications, date & time format, geographic location, default keyboard layout and the code page to be used by non-Unicode programs should be configured independently. I, for example, use the English version of Windows XP, English interface for most programs and U.S. English as default keyboard layout, but I want cyrillics to be displayed correctly in FAR.

It took Microsoft a decade to figure out that people may want different settings for these...
navaraf
Developer

Post by navaraf »

Tonik wrote:Btw just in case, have you ever considered writing (or helping someone write) an open-source FAR clone? I keep thinking of it every now and then and sometimes it even results in some actual code being written...
No, I haven't considered it because I'm happy with FAR itself. I think I'll rather spend time contributing to ReactOS then building yet another file manager. Not that it's a bad idea, but it's just not for me...
Tonik wrote:
navaraf wrote:(Oh, BTW, with correctly setup locale it's also possible to use FAR in Russian language)
Any hints on how that can be done?
Run RegEdit and under SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\NLS\CodePage key change the value ACP to some russian code page (1251 IIRC) and OEMCP to 866. That should be enough...
Tonik wrote:Btw may I hope that ReactOS's i18n handling is being done the right way - the way it's done in Windows XP?
Yeah, we're aiming for that.