USB Support

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

GreatLord
Developer

Post by GreatLord »

0.2.7 will not have the new usb code that Fireball (alesky) have commit. so no usb support in 0.2.7
GreatLord
Developer

Post by GreatLord »

0.2.7 will not have the new usb code that Fireball (alesky) have commit. so no usb support in 0.2.7
Gedi

Post by Gedi »

Agreed, I was just going to post that :)

Reason being, the branch has been made for the 0.2.7 release and no new features will be commited, only bug fixes.

Fireballs USB code will be in HEAD, thus anything commited before the next release branch (0.2.8 or 0.3.0) will have these features.
Dr. Fred
Developer

Post by Dr. Fred »

We could still vote to include it, if we really want it.
Where do you want ReactOS to go today ?
Jaix
Moderator Team

in the SVN after 0.2.7

Post by Jaix »

Aleksy said he woan't be ready to release it until 0.2.7 final has been released, so I figure it will be a part of the SVN after this or do I missunderstand something? Perhaps you are talking about adding an appertizer alpha software to the 0.2.7? Anyway, when we have 0.3.0 we will have USB weeeee!
Elledan

Post by Elledan »

0.3.0 is looking to become a very fun release, with networking and USB support :)
Phalanx

Post by Phalanx »

And I hope just that bit more pnp :)
Andrewm1986

Post by Andrewm1986 »

one thing I would like to see is the qemu image bigger by about 20MB, so we can install stuff and fiddle. Its really annoying. When it's compressed it will hardly change the size of the file (2/3k?), but would make life soooo much easier.

Bochs is too slow and I cant afford to pay for vmware ...
Delfi

Post by Delfi »

i hope that the usb support won't be just a wrapper for linux code when released :roll:
Jaix
Moderator Team

Post by Jaix »

Delfi wrote:i hope that the usb support won't be just a wrapper for linux code when released :roll:
What I understand it's a fresh port of an earlier Cromewell Linux keyboard & mouse drivers as a start. Then it will evolve from there.
I have actually got my USB Keyboard to work in ReactOS but not my mouse :-(.
Polo

Post by Polo »

Hi !
I'm new to ReactOS, but I like a lot this project which seems really good (the only thing I don't like is the explorer :)).
I would like to know when USB will be fully supported, just to have mouse and keyboard working, for the moment I have to use vmware, but I would rather be using the live cd ;)
Jaix
Moderator Team

Post by Jaix »

Polo wrote:Hi !
I'm new to ReactOS, but I like a lot this project which seems really good (the only thing I don't like is the explorer :)).
I would like to know when USB will be fully supported, just to have mouse and keyboard working, for the moment I have to use vmware, but I would rather be using the live cd ;)
This is not so easy to tell, it is not just a matter of USB support, we will need PnP, driver install support, hardware support for all kind of USB-gear for example, printers, scannesr, web-cams, ets. So for full USB support we need a lot closer 1.0 release then we are yet, so we need patience and some good will until then. But there is so much we can do until everything works, some searching for buggs is always welcome.
Delfi

Post by Delfi »

Jaix wrote:web-cams, ets.

btw, adding this driver to reactos driver DB would be very useful to anyone using webcams through tv tuners and tv tuners in general: http://btwincap.sourceforge.net/ - it is a free opensource bt878 capture card driver.
Jaix
Moderator Team

Post by Jaix »

Delfi wrote:
Jaix wrote:web-cams, ets.

btw, adding this driver to reactos driver DB would be very useful to anyone using webcams through tv tuners and tv tuners in general: http://btwincap.sourceforge.net/ - it is a free opensource bt878 capture card driver.
Well, with the captureboards enabled in ReactOS we will then be able to run http://mediaportal.sourceforge.net/ on ROS as a HTPC, cool!
GreatLord
Developer

Post by GreatLord »

to add a web cam or captuer card we need.
1. USB / Firewire
2. PNP
3. DirectDraw
4. DxAPI
5. DirectShow
6. and some more part of DirectX I do not rember all part now
7. wdm for captuer board / webcam

As u can see it is long way to these stuff. And it is long way. for DirectDraw and DirectShow is huge part of directx, I think the DirectShow is the bigest part of directx for it alot of directx *.dll need be implement then.