EPIC FAIL!

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

ArmyMan007

EPIC FAIL!

Post by ArmyMan007 »

Hey everyone,

I want to start a thread dedicated to all of your tested apps that has failed to install / work in ROS. Although the Bugzilla exists for this purpose, I never had the time or effort to browse through everything that has been tested in order to find out if it works. Plus it will be a lot simpler to just have a glance at a thread like this, and just post the app that has failed you. You don't even have to add any reason or explanation to it, just post the name of the app, and you're done! :D

Again, the purpose of this thread isn't to mess up anyone with technical details about why didn't the app worked. It's purpose is solely dedicated to point the name of the app that didn't work.

For starters, I wanted to install FIFA 98 and Worms World Party. Both apps have failed to install (FIFA 98 didn't even lunch the .exe file!).

Let's fail! ;)
ReactOS - Open Your Windows to Freedom
Haos
Test Team

Re: EPIC FAIL!

Post by Haos »

Is FIFA98 a 32bit app?
alfanak.net

Post by alfanak.net »

SomeGuy

Post by SomeGuy »

The forums are a great place to ask for help and feedback on such things. Personally I prefer to ask on the forums when something doesn't work before submitting a bug - that way I can be sure it isn't just me having the problem. :)

I suspect those may have a 16-bit setup loader stub - I know Worms Armageddon uses a 16-bit Install shield stub. It is possible to install and run many of these programs with a simple workaround.

I am actually planning on posting a tutorial on that, but what you need to do is: Launch setup under Windows or Wine and leave it running, this extracts a file called _INS0432._MP in the temp folder. Make a copy of this file. Then under ReactOS, copy the CD install files to a writable folder and also copy _INS0432._MP in to this folder. Rename _INS0432._MP to SETUP32.EXE and run this file instead of setup.

It is a little harrier if it is a self exctractor.

Also, it can be helpful to record the results, and any workarounds needed, in the Compatibility DB.

Are there demo versions of these programs downloadable from anywhere?
ArmyMan007

Post by ArmyMan007 »

SomeGuy, that would be great if you can post such tutorial. But can't I just copy the file to my ROS system32 folder? :D

FIFA 98 installer is most likely a 16 bit, because it gave me a "not shell 32" error.

Another EPIC FAIL of mine was the attempt to install Commandos (both 1&2). Never even loaded up the setup menus.

BTW, SomeGuy, I just ISO my games and lunch it as a virtual disk within ROS on VBox. I can't find any demos of these oldies anywhere :(
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

What is so epic about it?
ArmyMan007

Post by ArmyMan007 »

Haos wrote:What is so epic about it?
Nothing is really "epic" about it, but then again ROS is still in it's "epic failure" stages... might as well just coop with it...
livestrong2109

Post by livestrong2109 »

Rollercoaster Tycoon 1 Crashes ROS with a BSD... I'd say thats rather epic.
Wesley Howard
ROS Contributor - Web Developer
Radhad

Post by Radhad »

Have you checked if these games make use of DirectX? ReactOS doesn't support DirectX.

Fifa '98 and Rollercoaster tycoon 1 both require DirectX 5.0.
Worms World Party has been released in 2001, so it uses probably a newer DirectX Version.

A game like The Settler 2 should work in DOSBox, I will test that in the next few days :)
Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

How about the opensource Settlers 2 engine remake (that still requires original game data), Return To The Roots? It may be set to use OpenGL.
Aeneas

Post by Aeneas »

DEFCON fails for me.

http://www.introversion.co.uk/defcon/downloads/

... it cannot create a sound device or something...
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

Well..
As ReactOS is an alpha software, a lot of apps are supposed to fail.The group of failing apps is bigger than the working ones.
In case of enumerating something, it should be the "EPIC WORKING!" (yeah, those apps are really EPIC if they are able to run in ReactOS. EPIC as brave and EPIC as old) :D :D :D
Imho we should highlight the minority group in each ReactOS's development stage:
-In Alpha Stage the minority group is defined as "Apps working".
-In Beta/Production Stage the minority group is defined as "Apps not working".

Let's face another potential problem with "EPIC FAIL!":
Imagine that a newcomer arrives in 6 months to this thread and reads that the app "XXXXXXXX" doesn't work.
He won't try it ofc.
Now imagine that during those 6 months the App began working after some parallel bugfixing/winesyncs...
He won't discover it ofc.
The "EPIC FAILS!" has, then, become a Stop Testing thread.

If the thread is called "EPIC WORKS!":
-The user will test those EPIC WORKS apps (just curious or just because he likes the apps)
-The user will report that a working EPIC WORKS has stopped working,after testing it.
The "EPIC WORKS!" has become a regression&useful thread.

This is just my point of view as reactOS tester.
ArmyMan007

Post by ArmyMan007 »

Actually vicmarcal, I never thought of it the way you explained :D
But the point of this thread isn't to make people flee once they see this thread, but to show our ambition or aspiration for these kind of programs to work. I think we should at least, as contrast to this thread, create both "EPIC WORK" and "EPIC FAIL" threads as stickies, so at least we'll know what's working and what can we expect in the future :)

Also, I tried C&C 95, it almost worked!!! Install went fine but the menus were never displayed!
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

Not that I support the "epic fail" approach, but mentioning only postive things will not make ROS work automagically.
DOSGuy

Post by DOSGuy »

Haos wrote:Not that I support the "epic fail" approach, but mentioning only postive things will not make ROS work automagically.
True enough. If something doesn't work, a bug report should be filed. I haven't understood the point of just listing stuff that doesn't work without offering any information to help the devs fix it. I agree with vicmarcal: make a list of stuff that works.
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article. Get free BeOS, DOS, OS/2, and Windows games at RGB Classic Games.