Don't make the same misstakes as Linux ;)

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

mr.x1

Don't make the same misstakes as Linux ;)

Post by mr.x1 »

The first time I installed Linux i got clubbered by the variety of the programs, but the second time I installed Linux it was just annoying to have 2 or more programms for the same function. Sometimes one of them didn't work e.g. a music player suddenly doesn't support ogg/vorbis and so on...

My suggestion is:

#To implent some basic application as done in windows, 'cause you have to start with something ;)
#Don't implent e.g. 2 or more browser... That's too complicated ;) Im serious it's just annoying to have X-browsers. What's about the people working with bookmarks? I just think implenting too many apps is too much work for nothin' ;) :D
GaeTaN

Post by GaeTaN »

ReactOS should remains like Windows, so it should come up with the OS, ROS mail, ROS internet explorer, ROS Media Player and that's all.
With, unlike windows, an option to be able to not install some of these if wanted ;)
oiaohm

Post by oiaohm »

Linux problem is a little more complex.

Linux has a desktop war KDE vs Gnome(Put a KDE and a Gnome person in a room you will have a worse fight than a Microsoft vs Apple) so two applications with the same function is normal. This is not helped with companys like Redhat ie no mp3 support. Since some users either use all KDE or all Gnome. Most distro have single type installs.

Basicly the war is a war. Bad news is that this war is coming to Windows.

KOffice is going to fight OpenOffice on Windows. So here comes the fight again.

Distro selection is required. The linux war was the Unix Destop war that started 10 year before Linux was created. Basicly linux did not stand a chance of a single application layout. And about 10 years before that the shell war started on UNIX this war is basicly over bash is the winner 2001.

Linux desktop war if the shell war is anything to go by is about 2011 when it will end right for microsoft next version of windows.

Now 2 of each application is a good thing. Reason if there is a security problem in one you should be able to swap to the secound.
mr.x1

Post by mr.x1 »

Ic... Good to know that ROS is more Windowslike ;) Don't get this wrong, ROS is really good ;) :)
Luemmel

Post by Luemmel »

The first time I installed Linux i got clubbered by the variety of the programs, but the second time I installed Linux it was just annoying to have 2 or more programms for the same function. Sometimes one of them didn't work e.g. a music player suddenly doesn't support ogg/vorbis and so on...
linux has neither built in "programms" nor a "music player"
linux is what you find _here_: http://kernel.org/ not more or less

what you obviously think that linux is is what you can find here: http://distrowatch.com

the reactos developers decided long ago not to split kerneldevelopment from the rest so if you just want a "free windows" you will get it by downloading the "original" reactos

BTW: who needs notepad _and_ wordpad?
Put a KDE and a Gnome person in a room you will have a worse fight than a Microsoft vs Apple
i'm quite active on different linux boards and i've seen flamewars between different distrobutions between linux and *BSD but i've never seen a flameware between KDE and gnome users

it's quite unlikely to me that such a flamewar could happen because KDE and gnome are both very similar and they're both mainstream
i think it's much likelier to see a flameware for example between fluxbox and ion because the target group's are very different here even though i've never seen one
mr.x1

Post by mr.x1 »

Luemmel wrote:
linux has neither built in "programms" nor a "music player"
linux is what you find _here_: http://kernel.org/ not more or less

what you obviously think that linux is is what you can find here: http://distrowatch.com

the reactos developers decided long ago not to split kerneldevelopment from the rest so if you just want a "free windows" you will get it by downloading the "original" reactos
But in reactOs they aren't splitted and so this misstake could be here too...

PS: Don't be so adversarial to me ;)
Luemmel

Post by Luemmel »

mr.x1 wrote:But in reactOs they aren't splitted and so this misstake could be here too...
sorry but this sentence makes no sence to me
you're saying because the development of reactos is different from the linux one's it could have the same mistakes!?
mr.x1 wrote:PS: Don't be so adversarial to me ;)
i'm not adversarial i just wanted to point something out:
saying linux is red hat (for example) and it's "mistake" is having to many programs is like saying a V8 engine is a ferrari and it's mistake is that it has to many ashtrays

substitute "linux" with "some mainstream linux distributions" you're right and i'm totally happy :)