VirtualBox image not booting

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

stormbind

Re: VirtualBox image not booting

Post by stormbind »

Tried reducing to 256Mb as above, BSOD "Memory Management".
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

Please try the latest build.
milon

Post by milon »

Also, are you using AMD? I know there've been issues with AMD processors on occasion. (I'm using an Intel if it matters.)
stormbind

Post by stormbind »

My host OS is running on an AMD N330. I don't think that matters because surely VirtualBox provides an emulated CPU interface?
stormbind

Post by stormbind »

I am using the latest Release build. Not the debug builds.
SomeGuy

Post by SomeGuy »

:shock: Aw heck, the release builds are busted.

For the time being use one of the debug builds. That's what most people test against because you can't get proper debugging information from the release builds.

Thanks for letting us know about that!
milon

Post by milon »

SomeGuy wrote::shock: Aw heck, the release builds are busted.

For the time being use one of the debug builds. That's what most people test against because you can't get proper debugging information from the release builds.

Thanks for letting us know about that!
Oh. That makes sense. I haven't done any testing for a while, and I've just recently been using a debug build. (I finally convinced Win7 to use the com0com driver to get debug output to PuTTY.)
SomeGuy

Post by SomeGuy »

Looking a little closer, there are only a few fairly recent release builds out there on the server, and they all appear to be broken. So I can't tell where it broke.

Perhaps the fact that they are even out there right now means a dev is testing it? Usually rel builds are not even generated until shortly before a release.
stormbind

Post by stormbind »

Doh! Why are they putting release builds on the public server if they aren't meant for release?

Now I know why there are no release notes with it..
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

stormbind wrote:Doh! Why are they putting release builds on the public server if they aren't meant for release?

Now I know why there are no release notes with it..
Anyway, latest build works just fine on Virtualbox.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

A release build is not a release, a release build means it's been stripped of debug information. It's a common term in software development.
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

milon wrote:Odd. I'm using VBox 4.1.16 on Win7 64-bit with ROS 56737 and it works fine. I used a default Win2K3 setup with 512MB RAM and 20GB harddisk. ROS sound in VBox hasn't been working the last while, but that's the only issue I'm having right now. I'm using US English setup, if that makes a difference. Try playing with the RAM and/or the language on a fresh vm and see what happens.

EDIT - Very odd. I was doing a lot of bug checking earlier today with that setup, using a fresh vm for each bug. It worked fine until I checked a bug involving language settings. It BSOD'd, I made a fresh vm, and now it BSODs when trying to load the desktop. I had to drop RAM to 256MB to work again. *shrug*
I had a BSOD too, today (not related to the FF), just by starting it up. I made Virtualbox reset it and run again, and than it worked and Ros started up as it should. Go figure.

I've set mine with 512 MB, 10 GB HD.