IngDiBa - 1000 EUR for ReactOS (?)

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Aeneas

IngDiBa - 1000 EUR for ReactOS (?)

Post by Aeneas »

Hi! Again a bank in Germany is doing a thing where they will give 1000 EUR to 1000 associations and where ReactOS participates (info to be seen on the German ReactOS page):

https://verein.ing-diba.de/soziales/333 ... in..4466.h

I would love to vote, but it seems limited to participants with a German mobile number which I find totally unfair, as ReactOS is an INTERNATIONAL project, with Eastern European as well as American and Chinese participation, and the requirement of a German phone number is not putting it in an ex aequo position with all these garden dwarves and petunia breeding associations which, clearly, have a strong "local only" following.

So my question is: what are we going to do about it? Is anyone going to ask them whether extra-German mobile phone numbers will be accepted, too, our case being special?

I am writing this so that the ReactOS fans can at least mobilize their German friends to help out with this...

EDIT: EmuandCo, you got a PM from me in this regard. ;)
Z98
Release Engineer

Re: IngDiBa - 1000 EUR for ReactOS (?)

Post by Z98 »

They're not going to give an exception to ROS. Their goal is to promote German organizations in the first place.
Aeneas

Post by Aeneas »

Are you sure? Because I rather have the feeling that they need a "possibility of control", and they cannot quite guarantee for the sincerity of e.g. some Pakistani phone provider (you might buy numbers for 1/10 of a cent and use disproportionately many). So far I get it but perhaps they will be fine extending things to the EU and US, if not Russia, or maybe giving us a better chance next time.

I clearly understand that there are equal-treatment-issues here in so far as any advantage given to us means a disadvantage for everyone else. But the way they have made it, ReactOS will basically never again be able to fairly participate, even though it *is*, as a matter of fact, a German association: a German association does not have to have its focus of interest in Germany directly. What happens if you e.g. help the poor in India? Then basically 99.9% of your supporter base will be outside Germany. (And such an organisation may well be in the interest of the German state, if you e.g. say that it actually indirectly helps keep relations fine.) Their method is simply too blunt.

Therefore, I think you should try - so they at least see the problem, but that is just my opinion; they cannot say more than "no", after all, and if we do not say anything at all, we lose out anyway. It's an e-mail for a chance of 1000 EUR.
milon

Post by milon »

It wouldn't be "fair" to other German organizations. The bank wants to give its money to German ogranizations, and I doubt it's concerned about a given project being international. That doesn't mean that ROS can't get 1000 EUR. It just means that ROS has as good a chance as any other German org. Get the word out about this contest, post it on fb, etc. We might win afterall. We don't have to be #1; we just have to be in the top 1000.
cmoibenlepro

Post by cmoibenlepro »

I am not German so I could not vote.
But good luck! You are on rank 800, you could do it.
Pesho

Post by Pesho »

I'm sick of those internet voting contests. I'd rather just donate here directly. If each of those 100 votes were 10 euro donations, we'd have 1000 right now.
Aeneas

Post by Aeneas »

As long as this is not the Rockefeller software project, I beg to differ.
cmoibenlepro

Post by cmoibenlepro »

Pesho wrote:I'm sick of those internet voting contests. I'd rather just donate here directly. If each of those 100 votes were 10 euro donations, we'd have 1000 right now.
You could do both. Vote and donate.
Aeneas

Post by Aeneas »

We missed it, by some 200 places.

Now I think you can take the banner down from the main page - no reason to make advertisements about this bank if they do not help us.