Reactos Market/Store/Marketplace/Play :)

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

cruonit

Reactos Market/Store/Marketplace/Play :)

Post by cruonit »

I think the reactos "Download" app should be renamed to something like shop,bazaar,... (i think you will suggest better ideas) and make it possible for developers to upload their software that works on reactos to the system(although with a review). Still from the HCI standpoint Download should be better but from the "trend" standpoint we should rename it :)

This will be interesting for the developers as a new way to promote their free,paid or opensource software on new platforms and they will report detailed bugs or even try to fix it in reactos in order to get their application to work. (i am a hobby app developer(one has over 40.000 downloads) and i am working on a new version-rewrite that should be able to run on reactos -at least i will add the compatible with reactos logo(should post a proposal in the design section) on the applications website (~3700-4400 uniqe visitors per day))

Maybe even to sell software with reactos provision or to sell promotional space in the app for the apps or have paid premium developer accounts but maybe the premium accounts and the promotional space is a bad idea because reactos is OSS not donationware :)
Aeneas

Re: Reactos Market/Store/Marketplace/Play :)

Post by Aeneas »

"Paid"... well, surely not over ReactOS, unless you want to have fun with e-commerce legislation all over the place.

But the idea would be interesting for users: if WE can link what WE know to work, you would experience explosive growth of the applications.

You just need safeguards against "pirated content" & stuff like that. I mean, fancy some "smart person" saying, "look, MS-Office finally works, and hey, I got it for free from *HERE*" - and you are in trouble.

But the extension of the "automatic installation" at least to non-commercial open source projects would indeed very much extend the list of programs available to users.
swight

Post by swight »

Nooooooooo. Not another market place. Please don't. One of the top things I hated about windows 8 was this idea of a market place which meant that the main way to get applications was through the market place. This goes for mac and linux as well. I know someone is going to say software repositories aren't the same thing but in the area I am complaining about they are. When ever markets come up the next thing that comes is filters or similar roadblocks. These make it a pain for developers as we are heavily restricted in what we can do without fear of being rejected for some seemingly arbitrary reason. This leads to a lot of software that does the same things.

There is also the issue that when you have a market place that you almost have to put your app on it in order for people to use it.If people can find all that they need on the market place why would they look elsewhere to find your product.

On the subject of linux repositories. you are not really allowed to post anything and everything. it is more restricted to open source if you want any support from distro maintainers.

Basically the issues I am pointing out here are that markets tend to give undue advantage to the participants thereof and the question of what will we do if someone who owns a proprietary application wants to be listed?

I would also propose that RAPPS or what ever it is called now be removed once we become stable enough not to require apps for testing. Maybe leaving the browsers as they are required to get on the Internet where all the others could be obtained.
cruonit

Post by cruonit »

swight wrote:Nooooooooo. Not another market place. Please don't. One of the top things I hated about windows 8 was this idea of a market place which meant that the main way to get applications was through the market place. ..... ome stable enough not to require apps for testing. Maybe leaving the browsers as they are required to get on the Internet where all the others could be obtained.
In some point i agree with you, the markets are mostly restrictive but I as an android phone user like to use it and it's (mostly) more secure for my phone(also the store/market is what made iphone/android popular), on windows 8(on my work) i don't use the store(just downloaded skype) it makes no sense, if i need a tool i will download a popular one that i trust i don't need MS for that.
I think the "store/market" as a main place to get software from is not working on desktops but it's a quick and easy way to download and get the latest updates for the application(without those annoying update services like adobe, google, etc.). The stores/markets are a win-win for users and developers and every popular/modern end-user oriented OS has a similar thing.

The developer licence for android is about ~20$ one time payment but you pay for the hosting and administration costs and "the app is clean" check (you would pay the same for a website for your app) and it's a great way of promoting your app without paying for google adsese etc. especially if the app is free, for windows 8 it's about 60-70$ if your software is opensource/freeware your will hate that thing.

The market could be a good thing because it's a collection-database for applications that work out of the box with reactos(same sa rapps BUT it's some kind of limited) , also the apps in the market are mostly checked for spyware and viruses before been published.

So the proposal would be just to make the RAPPS collection more transparent and open for new submissions and maybe rename it in order to support that kind of philosophy, maybe this would attract some freeware/opensource developers to work on ROS
jonaspm

Post by jonaspm »

I like the idea!
It doesn't mean that you won't be able to download outside of it so... Why not? :)
PascalDragon

Post by PascalDragon »

swight wrote:On the subject of linux repositories. you are not really allowed to post anything and everything. it is more restricted to open source if you want any support from distro maintainers.
You are generalizing here. At least on ArchLinux there is the Arch User Repository (AUR) (hosted on the distro's servers) which allows users to upload the PKGBUILD files for a package which contains the information needed to build a package no matter whether it's a tar archive, a svn checkout or a binary download. Users can then download this PKGBUILD file, build the package and install it. There are even wrappers in the AUR which automate this whole process and even keep the packages up to date together with the ones provided by the prebuild package repositories.

Regards,
Sven
Free Pascal compiler developer
swight

Post by swight »

Ubuntu is an exception rather than the rule from what I understand, and were among the first to allow paid software. It is progress, though I am taking a wait and see approach for now as I have had rather poor luck with linux distros supporting my hardware configuration including a few that were supposed to be really good at that(typically networking was the issue though some had issues in other areas like graphics).

The nightmare on Linux is cross-platforming. The solution for Arch Linux works for Arch Linux. Not necessarily any other distro. Some distros have improved others have not.One thing I am Hope for is that more distros start doing something like the Linux Standard Base so coders can package everything once and distribute rather than the death by a hundred re-packagings or re-compiles of the current system. This may reduce the current excuses for only providing support for open source software. Though some will hold fast as for them it is a philosophical issue rather just than a practical one.

Windows and reactos are different. There are no hundred distros where everything is different. Everything in the base system is(at least going to be) the same. This means no repackaging which means the source doesn't need to be distributed to be recompiled for every system. This is a key difference between reactos/windows and linux and one reason we don't have to copy the open-source\freeware model of linux.